Oil Fill Pipe Removal For Freeze Plug Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Oil Fill Pipe Removal For Freeze Plug Change

Have a 1951 Champion needing core plugs and coolant cleanout. How do you remove the oil fill pipe in order to access the core (freeze) plug directly behind it? I've tried the Studebaker manuals (shop, chassis, etc) but none show or tell how to remove the fill pipe in order to pull the core plug. I have removed all the other plugs without any problems. I did discover massive amounts of debris and some wire inside the coolant passages and was able to remove a lot of it but no success on the first core plug because the fill tube is blocking access.

Originally posted by studepack View Post
    Have a 1951 Champion needing core plugs and coolant cleanout. How do you remove the oil fill pipe in order to access the core (freeze) plug directly behind it? I've tried the Studebaker manuals (shop, chassis, etc) but none show or tell how to remove the fill pipe in order to pull the core plug. I have removed all the other plugs without any problems. I did discover massive amounts of debris and some wire inside the coolant passages and was able to remove a lot of it but no success on the first core plug because the fill tube is blocking access.
    Last time I needed to do that I used a Vice-Grip and a slide hammer.
    Popped it out without any damage.
    Used a 2x4 (flat on the top and tapped down with a hammer) to reinstall, also without damage.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I just did a filler pipe removal on a 1949 Champion engine. I tried hose clamps, vice grips and a slide hammer but nothing would move it. With the engine upside down on a stand and the oil pan off, I used a socket that was just a hair smaller than the hole in the block and started hitting it with a 4lb hammer. Took quite a bit of pounding but it came out without any damage.
      Rick
      Kingman, AZ

Comment

I pulled the one on my 2R5 pickup by carefully moving it back an forth while pulling up on it and it eventually came right out, so I could then access the freeze plug behind it that had started to leak.
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Working...
        X