PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Fin Strip Molding

valleyguy
09-25-2006, 08:42 AM
I just reinstalled my hawk rear fin after working on the fender and
fin separately. Now I need to install the new strip molding that covers the joint between the inner fin and body. The part I purchased is a straight piece but it needs to be curved to fit the contour of the fin. Has anyone done this before and what method do I use to bend this piece to fit.?? Thanks,

StudHawk60
09-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Good Luck! When I did my 60 Hawk a few years ago, I bought these same strips. I tried heating them up and bending them around a jig, then I threw them in the trash.:( I ended up using a solid aluminum extrusion with the same overall profile and just drilled holes thru it, then filled the holes after I installed the bolts. [:p] I have read that alot of people use the plastic belt molding you see on the side of cars to protect from dings. If I didn't have the extrusion, I would have used the same thing.

52hawk
09-25-2006, 09:39 AM
I'll second that!-after re-installing my rusty old ones,I wished I had used the plastic.

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

Roscomacaw
09-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Heh - I recently sold a pair of these on ebay. They were good, used ones I'd taken from a 57 Silver Hawk. The guy wasn't too thrilled with them - I guess because he expected them to be near NOS in condition. They required some clean-up but they WERE solid and pre-shaped (and was it a pain in the rear to ship them and insure they didn't get distorted!) and fit like they oughta. Even had the proper T-head screws in place!
The plastic beltline trim is probably the slickest way to go here! Pliable, paintable, self-adhering and way better size match to the originals. A little drilling to clear screw heads and a bit of surgery to make nicely-shaped ends and you're in business![8D]
Any good auto paint shop will have a wide array of plastic moulding samples you can look at and choose which one closest matches your Hawk's needs.;)

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

robtc
09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
try flexchrome.com.

52hawk
09-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Look here for good ideas! This is what I SHOULD have done with mine!! GoodLuck!!
http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/FinsTech/index.htm

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

StudHawk60
09-26-2006, 06:31 AM
quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Look here for good ideas! This is what I SHOULD have done with mine!! GoodLuck!!
http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/FinsTech/index.htm

LaSalle,Il
61Hawk
60Lark

:DThat's the exact page I was looking for yesterday to link to this thread.

valleyguy
09-26-2006, 08:21 AM
You guys are very helpful; these links are great;
I'll have to decide whether to go ahead and seal the joint
smooth with filler, and then install the flex moldings,
or try to install the moldings over the screws. Thanks much.