Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hawk Fin Strip Molding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Fin Strip Molding

I just reinstalled my hawk rear fin after working on the fender and
    fin separately. Now I need to install the new strip molding that covers the joint between the inner fin and body. The part I purchased is a straight piece but it needs to be curved to fit the contour of the fin. Has anyone done this before and what method do I use to bend this piece to fit.?? Thanks,

Good Luck! When I did my 60 Hawk a few years ago, I bought these same strips. I tried heating them up and bending them around a jig, then I threw them in the trash. I ended up using a solid aluminum extrusion with the same overall profile and just drilled holes thru it, then filled the holes after I installed the bolts. [] I have read that alot of people use the plastic belt molding you see on the side of cars to protect from dings. If I didn't have the extrusion, I would have used the same thing.

Comment

I'll second that!-after re-installing my rusty old ones,I wished I had used the plastic.

LaSalle,Il
      61Hawk
      60Lark
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Heh - I recently sold a pair of these on ebay. They were good, used ones I'd taken from a 57 Silver Hawk. The guy wasn't too thrilled with them - I guess because he expected them to be near NOS in condition. They required some clean-up but they WERE solid and pre-shaped (and was it a pain in the rear to ship them and insure they didn't get distorted!) and fit like they oughta. Even had the proper T-head screws in place!
        The plastic beltline trim is probably the slickest way to go here! Pliable, paintable, self-adhering and way better size match to the originals. A little drilling to clear screw heads and a bit of surgery to make nicely-shaped ends and you're in business![8D]
        Any good auto paint shop will have a wide array of plastic moulding samples you can look at and choose which one closest matches your Hawk's needs.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

try flexchrome.com.

Comment

Look here for good ideas! This is what I SHOULD have done with mine!! GoodLuck!!
            http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/FinsTech/index.htm

LaSalle,Il
            61Hawk
            60Lark
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Look here for good ideas! This is what I SHOULD have done with mine!! GoodLuck!!
              http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/FinsTech/index.htm

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              60Lark
              That's the exact page I was looking for yesterday to link to this thread.

Comment

You guys are very helpful; these links are great;
                I'll have to decide whether to go ahead and seal the joint
                smooth with filler, and then install the flex moldings,
                or try to install the moldings over the screws. Thanks much.

Comment

Working...
                X