main pulley bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: main pulley bolt

Does anyone know what the torque specs are for the main pulley bolt on the 259? Also...I have the firing order but my manual does not tell me where number one cylinder is located. I'm thinking it's the first cylinder on the left when facing the front of engine. Is this correct? Finally, the timing marks on the harmonic balancer should be facing me and not towards the block as they are now. Am I right? Seems someone may have installed it backwards! I'm new to Studebaker's and any help would be welcome. Thanks.... I'm currently trying to put a '61 Lark four door back on the road where it belongs.
    Last edited by T.J lavallee; 03-20-2014, 06:46 PM.

If you were facing the front of the engine....it would be the first cylinder on your right.,That is drivers side front is#1. Remember the distributor rotor is like a Big Block Chrysler in that it rotates counter clock wise, not like a Chevy. The firing order is the same as a Chevy though.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Man! that clears up a lot of issues. Thanks!!

Comment

A good clear explanation given, Except.
        "drivers side"
        Not too long ago I used that term in a response and was given a large ration of grief because I was supposed to remember that there are readers on the site who
        do not drive from the left side. Therefore causing great confusion amongst future readers.
        According to the grief givers that term is politically incorrect and must not be used.
        Just sayin.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

130 to 140 ft-lbs for the pulley bolt.
          Nice day tol all.
          sigpic

Comment

In addition to the 130-140 ft-lbs the locking tab should be bent up to lock the bolt. By what you say it sounds like the harmonic balancer is on backwards. I have a 259 on a stand and the timing data reads from the front. There are tools to remove and replace the pulley assembly, but being a back yard graduate most standard pullers will remove it, to replace it I got a long bolt to reach the crank shaft to pull it on then replaced it with the standard bolt when it bottoms out. The bolt is 11/16-16TPI national standard.

Comment

altair:
              Where were you able to find that bolt. [11/16-16tpi] It's an oddball size.
              When I reinstalled the harmonic balancer after the fiber timing gear broke I never did find a bolt for install.
              None of the pullers I had or could beg, borrow or steal had the correct bolt.
              Couldn't even find one at a local specialty fastener shop.
              I finally made something up from a parts car part that worked.
              From other members responses at that time, it seems that they had trouble finding the bolt also.
              Thanks in advance for the info.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                A good clear explanation given, Except.
                "drivers side"
                Not too long ago I used that term in a response and was given a large ration of grief because I was supposed to remember that there are readers on the site who
                do not drive from the left side. Therefore causing great confusion amongst future readers.
                According to the grief givers that term is politically incorrect and must not be used.
                Just sayin.
                The left side of car is always referred to as if you are sitting in the car, this would not matter then if it were a LHD or RHD.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X