More 289 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: More 289 questions

Finally got a good manual thanks for the recommendation. Have a few more questions for the experts.

1. Where can I get the small washer that goes on the crank bolt. Not the locking washer.

2. Do you guys use loctite on the fuel pump eccentric?

3. Do some of the head bolts have washers? I did not take the heads off this engine but some of the bolts had washers on them. The manuals I have do not show any.

Thanks Mike

1. 522490 washer, plain 11/16" Stude West, Red Wood City
    2. I do not
    3. I have seen some under the heads of the long bolts that hold the rockers down on some engines I have taken apart but most didn't. My parts book does not show a flat washer for any of the bolts that hold down the heads.

Comment

Do some of the head bolts have washers? I did not take the heads off this engine but some of the bolts had washers on them. The manuals I have do not show any.
      As Alan says, when washers are found on head bolts, they're usually on the rocker arm bolts. Even there, it's inconsistent, but it's rare these days to find an unmolested Stude V8.

Since Packard V8s use washers under all head bolts, I bought a bag of 1000 and now use them on all the head bolts on all my Studebaker V8 builds as well.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Thanks guys,

Mine also had the washers on the long bolts I guess I will use them again and maybe do all of them.

Mike D

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Looks like that engine was dropped on it's pan a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
            Looks like that engine was dropped on it's pan a few times.
            I had to look twice...... looks zakly like mine!

Comment

Yes I noticed that too and I will definitely check the oil pick up clearance. I have not checked the manual yet but I am assuming .250 min to .500 max clearance.

Comment

As much as I love having quality flat washers under bolt heads I check to be sure there at least 2 diameters of bolt engagement with the washer installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
                  As much as I love having quality flat washers under bolt heads I check to be sure there at least 2 diameters of bolt engagement with the washer installed.
                  Dan, good point if someone were to use some thick washers. The thin washers I use are about equal to the amount milled off the heads and block during the rebuild. Should be no net change in head bolt thread engagement.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                  X