Stuck ignition switch- new one on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Stuck ignition switch- new one on me

I went down to the barn to run my '64 Avanti. Ignition key opened the door lock OK, but I couldn't turn the ignition lock either way. I can't remember ever having one stuck. I had driven the car in November and it was fine.
    The only thing I could find to try on it was a can of PS Blaster so I gave the lock a tiny shot of it. Worked fine.
    Anyone else ever have this happen?
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

...you know the answer: ..start your car more often...and for those of us wanting to prevent this from occurring....squirt a little graphite powder in those switches......its easier to vacuum up than squirted oil.....check that Paul....

Comment

I had left the keys in the ignition on the 61 Champ & when I tried to remove them, they wouldn't. I sprayed penetrant into the switch but in the meantime cut the "ears" off the key so it would fit through the bezel but then it came out.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        ...you know the answer: ..start your car more often...and for those of us wanting to prevent this from occurring....squirt a little graphite powder in those switches......its easier to vacuum up than squirted oil.....check that Paul....
        Usually I do run them more often. However, bad weather (lots of snow), two long trips to funerals, etc. kept me from doing that. However, I have had cars sit a lot longer than that between starts and I have never seen a lock that wouldn't turn. Graphite- yes. I had two little aerosol containers, but neither had any aerosol left so they were useless. The PB Blaster was the only thing handy and it did have a little straw-like tube that allowed me to squirt just the lock and nothing else.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by joenj
          It could have been moisture in the switch causing it to freeze in cold weather. That happened to me and I used WD40. That stopped my problem. Now I use it before storing my cars.
          That's certainly possible. It was in the 20s when I tried to start it and it was very moist in the area before it got below freezing.

Comment

Try not to spray any liquid if you can in your locks. This will draw dirt. Hold your key on its side with milling pointing up,dust a small amount of dry graphite on side, then insert into lock.Work key back and forth till you feel less resistance. Try not to put graphite in key hole in core. You will have a tendency to over service this lock. Too much graphite will bind up the lock also under certain conditions.

Comment

Working...
            X