Front inner fender panels-C K body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Front inner fender panels-C K body

I know front fenders are interchangeable except for trim holes from 1953-1964,but how about inner fender panels?Do they vary from original 53/54 to 55 grille shell,and then again to hawk series?I know the 63/64 GT changed on the passenger side for the later heater set up but what about the drivers side.Or they all close enough to interchange with minor mods.Thanks

Tell us what you're working on. I can tell you that 56 Hawk fenders were an exact fit on my '61.[fenders and inners]
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I'm working on 54 K body Champion and looking for replacement fender options.Rear of front fender rust out that I know can be repaired with Classic patch Enterprises panel but I'm not a good welder to tackle job.I looked a a 55 C/K front fender and it looks to be different in the front inner fender piece plus added grille attachment holes in the front lower grille lip.So I was seeking more information on interchange and general knowledge.I tried a search but couldn't find the info I'm seeking.

Comment

I always thought that '53-'55 C/K front fender skirts were the same, and '56-'64 C/K front skirts were the same, with the exception of '58 Packard Hawk models, and the heater change You mention making the right front fender skirt of '63-'64 Hawks unique.

Comment

As I remember 1953 and 1954 are the same but 1955 are unique. Thirty five years ago I made a 1955 out of a nos Hawk fender by cutting and welding some of the original 1955 parts on to the Hawk front section. I am sure that the same can be done on a 1953-54. Inspection will tell you the best place to cut and splice. The alternate method is to separate the inner and outer by drilling out the spot welds and using the original 1953 inner fender. Either way it is important to leave the inner fender attached to the car to make sure that you can align the outer fender properly before you weld it. You can always make adjustments before it is welded but not afterwards. Don't ask how I know!

Comment

Don't freak out over using CE rear fender patches. The first welding I ever did was putting them on my Champ.

When I did the Speedster, one minor mod to the process... I cut 3 1"x1" by 9" angle irons and temporarily screwed them to the face to keep the surface flat till things were well held by weld.

Comment

The inter fenders on the53-55 are the same also the main fender it's self just different holes for different trim details, I had a 62 Gt that someone tried to put a 53 front section on and butchered the area up front so the hood would clear, the fender them self were near perfect so my body man but the right pieces back on from a different set of junk fenders.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I disagree strongly regarding the statement that '53-'55 inner fenders are "the same". The front sections of the inner fenders are extremely different where they connect/bolt-up to the radiator support area. From my experience, the '55 inner panels are "stand alone", and are different than '56 and up also.

tempestan

Comment

From what I had gathered from reading was that fenders were the same from 1953-1964 except the GT Hawks were a little different in the tail light area but that it was minor.But now it looks like that only pertains to the outer stampings and if the inner liners are attached as most of the fenders a person would encounter for sale-then there are four different types to match to a persons own vehicle.Unless a person wants to remove spot welds or alter the inner liners.Type 1-1953/54,type 2-1955,type 3-1956-1962, and type 4-1963/64.Is that a correct statement?Thanks all for your input and knowledge sharing.

Comment

Type 4-1963/64 would be passenger side only do to different heater setup incorporated in inner fender liner.Drivers side would be same as 1956-1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X