1959 259 from 64 wagonaire into 54 stude hdtp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1959 259 from 64 wagonaire into 54 stude hdtp

Me again, just wondering if the 259 will bolt onto the 54's 6 cyl. motor crossmember pads or do I remove them and use the brkts. from the wagonier? Thanks--Steve

Your stock frame mounts have 2 sets of holes. One set is for the six and the other is for a V-8. There are lots of other things to change from a six, but the frame mounts will work. Someone else will have to fill in the details.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for the info. Saves me time measuring out in the snow.

Comment

The '56 and newer V8 Rear Engine Mounts were changed from the 1954 style, so the holes for those in the Rear Engine support crossmember will need to be drilled.

Your Fuel line will need to be lengthened to reach the Left side and your Fan shroud will need to be modified to fit the Engine Fan location.
        I welded a 1 In. strip on the Left vertical mounting flange of the 6 Cyl. Shroud and folded the Right mounting flange inside to make it move an inch to the right, also cut a fairly small hole it the left side, lower to clear the Steering reach Rod. I
        lengthened the Batt. Box to fit the common Group 24, 12 Volt Stude. size Battery and most of the rest was bolt-in to a .060 oversize 289 for a very fast, built 299cid V8.

It did require a '56 and up Clutch Housing, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch Plate and Throughout Bearing for a V8 3 Speed Overdrive Manual Trans. and floor shifter.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thankks for the info. hopefully I can use alot from the wagonier.

Comment

You could also grab the rear engine support crossmember from a later C/K. They bolt in. (That's what I did)
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The '56 and newer V8 Rear Engine Mounts were changed from the 1954 style, so the holes for those in the Rear Engine support crossmember will need to be drilled.

Your Fuel line will need to be lengthened to reach the Left side and your Fan shroud will need to be modified to fit the Engine Fan location.
              I welded a 1 In. strip on the Left vertical mounting flange of the 6 Cyl. Shroud and folded the Right mounting flange inside to make it move an inch to the right, also cut a fairly small hole it the left side, lower to clear the Steering reach Rod. I
              lengthened the Batt. Box to fit the common Group 24, 12 Volt Stude. size Battery and most of the rest was bolt-in to a .060 oversize 289 for a very fast, built 299cid V8.

It did require a '56 and up Clutch Housing, Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch Plate and Throughout Bearing for a V8 3 Speed Overdrive Manual Trans. and floor shifter.
              Actually the holes for the rear engine mounts, either auto or standard, are in the same location....NO drilling required!

Comment

Sorta what I'm doing.
                60 Lark 259 into a 54 Conestoga. And I'll be doing another of the same thing after this car is on the road.

The front mounts, redrill in the opposite pattern. That is, put the right side mount on the left and the left side mount on the right, redrill accordingly (use the opposite side mount as a pattern).

For my swap, that all that's stock. Electric fan inside the original fan shroud, different accelerator linkage, GM trans., thru bolt front mount pads, home made mid-mount (behind the engine, in front of the trans), custom driveshaft, new, full fuel line comming in from the right side of the car.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                  Sorta what I'm doing.
                  60 Lark 259 into a 54 Conestoga. And I'll be doing another of the same thing after this car is on the road.

The front mounts, redrill in the opposite pattern. That is, put the right side mount on the left and the left side mount on the right, redrill accordingly (use the opposite side mount as a pattern)./Cut/Mike

That is one of the minor problems we have here, people note THEIR situation, which is similar but on a different model, which changes EVERYTHING. Just be careful to match the info to your model and year. Mike's info only works on Champion Sedans and Wagons not on the OP's "K" Model.

And Ed, are you sure you are referring to the Rear Engine Mount holes in the crossmember of a '53, '54 CHAMPION "K" Body being converted to a later model ('56 & up) V8 Engine and Bellhousing? Because I KNOW I drilled my Standard Trans. Clutch Housing/Engine Mount holes.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 01-24-2014, 04:43 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

That is one of the minor problems we have here, people note THEIR situation, which is similar but on a different model, which changes EVERYTHING. Just be careful to match the info to your model and year. Mike's info only works on Champion Sedans and Wagons not on the OP's "K" Model.

And Ed, are you sure you are referring to the Rear Engine Mount holes in the crossmember of a '53, '54 CHAMPION "K" Body being converted to a later model ('56 & up) V8 Engine and Bellhousing? Because I KNOW I drilled my Standard Trans. Clutch Housing/Engine Mount holes.
                    Rich, I did the same swap (as described) Myself not too long ago....but it was into a '54 Commander Hardtop...I guess it's possible that the bolt in rear engine support crossmember is different between the Champ and the Commander hardtop models, or it's possible the factory drilled the holes in a different location, but I would have bet against this. (the chassis manual would answer this question)

Comment

I bolted in a 62 Police Marshal 289, and hd automatic into a 54 Champion ht. It bolted right in with no modification of the frame mounting . I had to cut the driveshaft center bearing support out for the 1 piece drive shaft, but that was it. The driveshaft was 1/2 too short, even with the dana 44, so I drilled the axle spring perch to compensate, and you would be hard pressed to visually tell. I did this when I was 11 it was my first car, but I couldn't drive it!
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                        I bolted in a 62 Police Marshal 289, and hd automatic into a 54 Champion ht. It bolted right in with no modification of the frame mounting . I had to cut the driveshaft center bearing support out for the 1 piece drive shaft, but that was it. The driveshaft was 1/2 too short, even with the dana 44, so I drilled the axle spring perch to compensate, and you would be hard pressed to visually tell. I did this when I was 11 it was my first car, but I couldn't drive it!
                        That was what Bez.....about twenty years ago?

Comment

I wish it was twenty years.....my body says otherwise! that was back in 1971
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                          X