Tuning, timing and carburation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Tuning, timing and carburation

Although I've always understood the basic objectives of adjusting a carburetor or setting the timing I've always been a hacker and bumbler when it came to actual application of the principles. There was no reason to expect that my outcomes were close to optimum.... in fact I was usually just happy if the engine actually ran!

Faced with front range emissions tests at 5,000 foot altitude on the Champ I found this read, applied it and it almost took the fun out of the process. Not yet a pro but no longer intimidated by the process.

While the first read explains vacuum as a powerful tool in tuning an engine, the second read goes further into explanation of the role of vacuum at RPM above idle.

http://www.losboulevardosmessageboar...l=1#post137372

Last edited by mmagic; 01-09-2014, 08:46 AM.

The first writeup isn't bad, simple and to the point. The second one (68rocket) is full of holes and not so accurate comments. Granted, I only read about half of it, that was enough to say fine, he has his thoughts...but..

Mike

Comment

I've given up trying to be a carb tuner to the stars with the older methods. When I get jiggy with the 383 SBC in my 74 Avanti, I'm tuning it with this.

For $155 I'm tired of being 1/2 right.

Bob

Comment

Will that thing work with a stock Studebaker if you add an O2 bung to the exhaust?
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

If everything is wired correctly, it shouldn't have any issues with a Studebaker engine. I have an Innovate wideband O2 setup affixed to one of my turbo outlets in the '55. The only extra wiring that I had to do was the unrelated wiring from my Megasquirt ECU to O2 wideband controller. If the extra wiring is not used, it's just used as a standalone unit, or as a sensor and gauge combination. The wideband's "brains" are located in the probe that goes into the exhaust, and the results of the voltage signal are sent to the gauge.
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            Will that thing work with a stock Studebaker if you add an O2 bung to the exhaust?
            I would think the only issue would be 12 volts, the unit has no idea what it's in.

Bob

Comment

Working...
            X