1962 289 Gasket Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1962 289 Gasket Set

We are in the process of rebuilding my 1962 Daytona 289 engine. It is the original, early 1962 289 (no oil filter) with the 4 barrel carb. The engine has about 85,000 miles on it. I have an NOS unopened McCord engine gasket set (part number on the box is 1562380) that I THINK is for my engine. I bought the gasket set 20 plus years ago anticipating a need for it at some point and I am pretty sure it for the 1962 289 but having owned a couple of dozen pre-1968 cars over that period of time....I could be wrong. Usually I put a note on parts as to what they fit but I did not do that on this box. I would rather not open the box until I can be sure it is for my Studebaker and am hoping someone can help confirm my thinking. I would also be interested in opinions about using this NOS set (assuming it is for my 289) vs. using a modern gasket set from one of our valued Studebaker vendors. Thanks for any input.

If you can find a engine parts supplier in your area that sells mc cord gaskets they should be able to run the numbers for you. Mccord gaskets are a pretty good gasket.

Comment

I show 1562380 as "HEAD OVERHAUL SET V8 W THIN HEAD GSKT". I did not check the parts book. You might have to replace some of the cork gaskets if they are brittle from age. I just disposed of a lot of cork gaskets which were dried out. If you are patient you can make your set work. If the valve cover gaskets in your set are cork, I would suggest you get the rubber ones. You can also soak dried out cork gaskets in water to make them usable again. As cork gaskets are cheap, I think one is better off buying new ones. You should open the set to see if it is a complete set or just the upper part of the engine and to check the condition of the cork
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

There would also be a much shorter McCord Number on the Box like: HDS060 (just an example/guess of a Head Set Part #)
        The Number you have is the Studebaker cross reference number 1562380, it is the 1964 259/289 V8 Valve Grind Set with the stock Compression 8.25+ Thin Shim Head Gaskets just as Milt said.
        McCord is no longer in business, gone the way of Victor Gaskets.

Since those were made, FelPro has greatly improved many of those, like the Main Seal, Pan Gaskets, Valve Cover, Lifter Cover Timing Gear cover and Valve Stem Seals, most of which would be in the Full Set, not the Head Set.

Most Cork has been replaced with a better sealing Cellulose material.
        Some Studebaker Vendors have the fresh new stock FelPro Gaskets, others have the "Best Gaskets" Sets with more cork.
        I stock only the former.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-09-2014, 02:14 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback and good information. I really appreciate it. I am going to open the McCord box just to see what is actually in there. As the restoration of the Daytona progresses I am sure I will be back for more of the good information shared here. I have been an SDC member since I bought the Daytona in 1989 and have learned so much from the magazine Co-Operator and this forum. A few years after acquiring the Daytona I purchased a nice original '49 Champion convertible. I sold the convertible 7 or 8 years ago. I also have a low mileage 1960 Ford F350 that my father bought new, a really nice, rust free original 1966 F100 and a rust free original '55 Chrysler New Yorker St. Regis. The "62 Daytona is equipped with factory AC, 4 barrel carb, 4 speed, etc. It was sold new in Louisville to the dealer's son-in-law.....the dealer bought the car back from the son-in-law and put it away. The car was sold by the dealer's heirs to the gentleman I purchased the car from in '89. Thanks again.

Comment

If you want to go felpro go on[ Northern engine parts] web site. I think they get around $130 for a full gasket set.

Comment

By the way you mentioned you have "no oil filter" A 1962 Daytona came standard with a partial flow oil filter. If you don't have it it's easy to locate and install one, and yes they really do filter the oil.

Joe
              sigpic

1962 Daytona
              1964 Cruiser
              And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by JKelly View Post
                We are in the process of rebuilding my 1962 Daytona 289 engine. It is the original, early 1962 289 (no oil filter) with the 4 barrel carb. The engine has about 85,000 miles on it.

I have an NOS unopened McCord engine gasket set (part number on the box is 1562380) that I THINK is for my engine.
                The package is McCord, but 1562380 is the Studebaker part number for a valve grind gasket set. 1959/64 parts catalog on page 24 says: 64V

It's not unusual to find gasket sets made by others that have a Studebaker part number, as this is how SASCO sold some of them.

Edit: I see StudeRich beat me to it.

JKelly: If you need Ford truck expertise, suggest you join FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts - ford-trucks.com).

If you are looking for obsolete parts, want VIN/Rating/Warranty Plate codes decoded, I'll be more than happy to assist you.

7 years on FTE (user name NumberDummy), I've typed 50,724 posts, 80% related to obsolete parts, decoding codes.

btw: 1957/60's are called 'fridges' and 1961/66's are called 'slicks' by Ford truck nuts.
                Last edited by WinM1895; 01-09-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I had an old Fel Pro gasket set for my 289 and the head gaskets leaked almost immediately so I called my go to guy Dave Thibeault and he said he has heard of this before so he got me a Best gasket set and they worked great. I really like Fel Pro and in hindsight I should have just gotten a new set. Doing the job once can be enjoyable but having to do it again just plain sucks.

Comment

It has been my understanding that the early '62 289s (non full flow), which mine is, did not come standard with an oil filter...but the oil filter was available as an option an option. In the excellent Feb '92 Turning Wheels article on the '62 Lark there is a reference to 289s coming with oil filters but it does not speak to the mid year change to the full flow 289. The build sheet does not indicate the optional filter was provided. My engine definitely does not have a filter (unless it would be internal), nor does it appear it ever had one. The shop has the engine out and on a stand and the technician said..."did you know your engine does not have an oil filter?" I told him that yes...I did know. I would certainly would like to have one installed...some filtering is better than none. Do you have suggestions about sourcing and installing a filter? Thanks Joe.

Comment

For the early 62 models the Larks, Daytonas and Cruisers equipped with the 289 V-8 the filter was standard equipment. It was optional on other models. I'm sure Dave T-Bow and several people on this forum can provide you with a filter (or at least point you in the right direction).

Joe
                      Last edited by irish; 01-10-2014, 10:49 AM. Reason: corrected info
                      sigpic

1962 Daytona
                      1964 Cruiser
                      And a few others

Comment

Sounds good....thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X