Rear fender removal 1965 commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Rear fender removal 1965 commander

I am replacing the rear springs on my 1965 commander and fixing some wheel well Rust on the body .My question is how hard is it to remove the rear quarter panels ? I know they unbolt but if it is a pain to take off and put on I will just work around them . I will also be running new brake lines . The quarter panels are perfect and I don't want to damage them . Thanks

I did this a number of years ago on a 64 Convertible. To me it was very easy. You have to take the tail llghts off and the corner cover behind the bumper. The shop manual spells it out real easy.. Taking them off would make the job that much easier plus you can clean any goop off there if you need to while they are off. IMHO

Mark

Comment

It's a total bolt job with the exception of the flexible seam filler. Way too easy.
      For the record, my body man informs me that, if they bolt on, they are fenders. If they are integral or welded, they are quarter panels.
      We have a whole lot of semantic police around here and I am only posting this because I so enjoy instigating the rant!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

True. The fenders on the rear bolt onto the quarter panels that are part of the welded structure of the body. Is your Commander a 2 or 4 door? It's been a while since I did my Daytona but memory tells me there are bolts behind the 1/4 glass on the 2 door body that were difficult to remove. I'm not certain on the later 4 door but when I removed the rear fenders off a 60 a bolt that was hidden by the headliner was a pain & I ended up tearing the headliner in that area.

As far as semantics go, it helps to use the proper terms, especially when you need to order parts or ask for help. A couple of years ago I heard the term "radiator saddle" used & had no clue the person was referring to a "radiator support." Like speaking clearly it reflects what you know. Ask anyone that has been in the parts business how proper terminology means in their job. In my years in the body repair field, if I used the wrong terms while dealing with parts suppliers or insurance adjusters it would make me look like I didn't know what I was doing or talking about.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
          The fenders on the rear bolt onto the quarter panels that are part of the welded structure of the body.
          Quarter panels are the outer sheet metal panels, not part of the inner structure. They are usually welded on.

Just for sheets and giggles, I looked up group 2160-78 in the 1959/64 body parts catalog (page 288). Studebaker calls 'em quarter panels, not rear fenders.
          Last edited by WinM1895; 01-06-2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
            Quarter panels are the outer sheet metal panels, not part of the inner structure. They are usually welded on.

Just for sheets and giggles, I looked up group 2160-78 in the 1959/64 body parts catalog (page 288). Studebaker calls 'em quarter panels, not rear fenders.
            Thank you everyone, it sounds easy and as I'm working on the bottom of the car first (wrong term) , brake shocks , springs etc. it sounds like a reasonable thing to do (removing the rear Fenders). Since it is below zero here and my car is in a carport all this has to wait awhile but can't wait to start.

Comment

Since you are asking for suggestion.. My first is "Take lots of pictures before you disassemble!"

First picture shows the easy 4 Acme Screws on the B pillar and then along the top edge.

If you see that big hole in the floor under window well, there is a nut there that needs to be removed.

Here is a close up of that hole. The gap where you can see the stud is where the bottom of the quarter panel will go.

The Acme screws in the trunk..

In the above picture, See that channel going from top to bottom in front of the wheelwell?
              That is the seal gap to the quarter panel that separates the outside world from your inside world.
              When replacing Make Sure you get lots of sealer in there

Then there are ones underneath that need to be removed.

The bottom edge of the rear quarter is joggled..

For removal, remove all fasteners, then pry away the top breaking the old sealer. Then you will need to finess it out from the bottom joggled and the opening between the rocker panel and body.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                Since you are asking for suggestion.. My first is "Take lots of pictures before you disassemble!"

First picture shows the easy 4 Acme Screws on the B pillar and then along the top edge.

If you see that big hole in the floor under window well, there is a nut there that needs to be removed.

Here is a close up of that hole. The gap where you can see the stud is where the bottom of the quarter panel will go.

The Acme screws in the trunk..

In the above picture, See that channel going from top to bottom in front of the wheelwell?
                That is the seal gap to the quarter panel that separates the outside world from your inside world.
                When replacing Make Sure you get lots of sealer in there

Then there are ones underneath that need to be removed.

The bottom edge of the rear quarter is joggled..

For removal, remove all fasteners, then pry away the top breaking the old sealer. Then you will need to finess it out from the bottom joggled and the opening between the rocker panel and body.
                Thanks for everyone's help it is very appreciated

Comment

Working...
                X