Air Cleaner???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Air Cleaner???

Okay.... On a stock 289 c/w an Edelbrock 1403 carb and a #8723 spacer (1/2" thick) in a 61 Hawk with a 56 hood....so think of it as a 56 Power Hawk.
    What size air cleaner can I use that will allow adequate hood clearance. Mostly concerned with the depth of the Fram filament and a part # if someone has it??
    Thanks for your assistance .
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

The 1403 has a 5 1/8" opening the Avanti R1 Air Cleaner is the best functioning, and best looking unit available anywhere, but careful measurement need to be taken with one on a Hawk with this 1/2 inch adapter you have and the 4 1/8" to 5 1/8" Adapter BASE needed using clay on top, to check for clearance on someone's Car before you can be sure it clears the hood.

I do not think a "bubble" '56 Hood will make any difference from a '57 to '64 Hood.

IMHO, I would not run an open faced Air Cleaner like Edelbrock sucking in all of the Oil, Water and Dirt into the Element, if they GAVE me a case of them!

Maroon Type = Updated 12/12/13 12:34 PM.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-12-2013, 12:35 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

S.I. offers a "short" version of the standard V8 mount, #800907. It is intended for the '63-64 Avanti with the R3 option, needing more hood clearance. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
      Auburn, GA

Comment

Okay?
        I may need pictures?
        #800907 ?????
        Is this a snorkel style air cleaner or what?
        Good Roads
        Brian
        Brian Woods
        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Jim Turner modified an air cleaner to fit a late model AFB on his convertible...
          Maybe he'll chime in on what he did...
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I do not have a brand name for you, but I have seen folks run an R-1 top over an aftermarket Edlebrock AFB sized base.
            Looks stock, and does not require any adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
              I do not have a brand name for you, but I have seen folks run an R-1 top over an aftermarket Edlebrock AFB sized base.
              Looks stock, and does not require any adapter.
              You are correct, I meant to say Adapter BASE, not adapter, it is 1562826X Complete Air Cleaner Assy. or 801845 base for the Edelbrock 5 1/8" Carbs.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                Okay.... On a stock 289 c/w an Edelbrock 1403 carb and a #8723 spacer (1/2" thick) in a 61 Hawk with a 56 hood....so think of it as a 56 Power Hawk.
                What size air cleaner can I use that will allow adequate hood clearance. Mostly concerned with the depth of the Fram filament and a part # if someone has it??
                Thanks for your assistance .
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Try Summit Racing at 1-800-230-3030 or summit racing.com They will supply you with information over the phone as to which air cleaner they stock will fit your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                  Try Summit Racing at 1-800-230-3030 or summit racing.com They will supply you with information over the phone as to which air cleaner they stock will fit your particular situation.
                  Wouldn't that be limited to the Carbs. they fit, not Cars like Studebakers various years and models?
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich
                    Are you referring to an adapter between the top of the 1403 carb and the R-1 Avanti air cleaner?
                    Brian
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                      Rich
                      Are you referring to an adapter between the top of the 1403 carb and the R-1 Avanti air cleaner?
                      Brian
                      NO, I thought that Post #7 and revised Post #2 clarified that.
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry Rich
                        It is still as clear as mud to me!
                        I am still confused.
                        I have a BASE gasket & space Edelbrock #8723 which allows the throttle linkage to clear my intake manifold.
                        I have an Edelbrock 1403 500 cfm carb sitting on top of it.
                        Now I want to put an air cleaner on this thing and still bee able to close my 56 hood.
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

If you read Post #2, you can see that all you need is a little help check fitting a known fitting one on a Hawk, and you are good to go with a R1 1562826X Air Cleaner and you are done.

This is mostly because you are using the Carb. adapter on the Manifold instead of cutting the Ford Automatic Trans. kick-down lever off and using a '63-'64 AFB 4 Brl. Intake or a Modified 2 Brl. Intake to fit the Edelbrock.

We have been over this before.

#800907 This is a thinner R3/R4 Front Engine Mount, it should not be needed on Hawks.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-12-2013, 02:07 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            " you can see that all you need is a little help check fitting a known fitting one on a Hawk"

#800907 This is a thinner R3/R4 Front Engine Mount, it should not be needed on Hawks.
                            Sorry Rich
                            This must be as frustrating for you as it is me!
                            But what does this mean?
                            Why can I not understand what you are trying to tell me? It is like you are saying it in a language it don't speak????
                            And I have been building cars for 46 years!
                            Brian
                            Brian Woods
                            woodysrods@shaw.ca

Comment

The R1 base is for the smaller older AFBs that originally were on Studebakers. There is an adapter to put the smaller filter base on a larger carb like the Edelbrock. One could use this for an older offset type of air cleaner.
                              If it were me I would NOT use any adapter as it just adds height to the assembly. You can use a cheap universal large base generic low profile 14" air filter, and put the R1 top on it and have no adapter needed. In fact, SI does this, and sells it already. You have your choice of base sizes, original or newer 5 1/8" size.
                              Last edited by bezhawk; 12-13-2013, 07:52 AM.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X