Confused about Engine serial number vs Identification plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Confused about Engine serial number vs Identification plate

Recent purchase of 1959 Stude with with an engine number or P62984 from the engine block next to the oil fill stamped in it. On the Identification plate on the driver side it has E7-11976 and the Model number 4E7-112. New to the Studebaker world. I am wondering what the engine number is telling me as far as displacement and was this engine possibly a replacement to the original? Also on the identification plate the state is going to use that as my Public Vin for titling purposes is that what other states do? Thanks for your help!

E7-11976 is the Serial Number for your truck and should be used as a "VIN".
    4E7-112 is a model number and refers to a 1959 1/2 ton pickup with a 210 HP 289 cid V8 and a 112 inch wb.
    P6284 is the Engine Number for a 1958 President or Silver Hawk (289 cid). Your engine was replaced. (A correct engine number for a 1959 4E7 pickup would be 3E-8001 or higher.)
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks I thought the engine must have been replaced if it had that engine number, bummer, I think. I had hoped it had the 289 (HD). Don't ask me why at this time but had hoped it was original. Hey Gary out of curiosity would both engines have the same HP and Torque? Is there anything different I should now about the two different engines? I think I read they were interchangeable. Did this model of truck have the 4 speed or the 3 speed? What is the shift pattern for the two different transmissions? It does have the overdirve I noticed. Thanks again for your help!
      Last edited by comtnbykr; 11-30-2013, 10:53 AM. Reason: Added more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by comtnbykr View Post
        Thanks I thought the engine must have been replaced if it had that engine number, bummer, I think. I had hoped it had the 289 (HD). Don't ask me why at this time but had hoped it was original.
        It's always nice to own a Stude that still has the engine it was 'born with' under it's hood!

Comment

It's always nice to own a Stude that still has the engine it was 'born with' under it's hood!

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to matter to the vast majority of Stude fanatics. Aside from the number and possibly a few minor internal bits, they are the same engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post

On the other hand, it doesn't seem to matter to the vast majority of Stude fanatics. Aside from the number and possibly a few minor internal bits, they are the same engine.
            I agree...it really doesn't matter....it's just 'nice'!

Comment

You will have slightly more HP with the "Car" Engine due to the higher compression 8.5 to 1, 537555 Casting # Cylinder Heads (if correct) vs. the Truck Heads with 7.0 or 7.5 to 1 Comp.

All internal parts are exactly the same, just a few external parts which should have been transferred to the Truck. Like (8) Engine Mounts, (4) Engine Mount BRACKETS, Water Manifold with the "Arms" that go Up to the Heads for Trucks rather than level like a Car to center on the Radiator, and the Throttle Bellcrank Assembly, Intake Manifold, etc.

Transmissions above Std. were Optional; Standard would be a Borg Warner 3 Speed T-89, Options are: T-89 Overdrive both with removable Side Cover (No Top Cover), a T-98 4 Speed Syncro in top 3, a New Process 5 Speed Direct, or a New Process 5 Speed Overdrive.

Axle Ratios depending on Transmission and option, would usually be Dana Spicer Type 44 or 45 4.09, 4.27 or 4.56 with Twin Traction (Limited Slip) optional.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks that's going to help alot

Comment

Working...
                X