Offenhauser 1190

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Offenhauser 1190

Ordered these OFFY 1190 for my 259 but they didn't come with grommets. Of course the grommets for the covers off my 259 won't work, has anyone found grommets to fit. I checked several websites (Offenhauser, Summit, Jegg, etc) but can't find any. Searched this site but also can't find anything. Can anyone suggest anything, I don't want any leakage problems when I finally fire it up. Thanks!!!

Buick V6 series 1 works well
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I would try "Y" Block Ford 292, 312 etc. '54 to '61 V8 Valve Cover grommets they are larger than Stude. and MAY do what you want.

Has anyone here actually tried these, I would never use an Aluminum after Market Valve Cover, because of the poor Gasket holding surface so I do not know how well the Grommets fit.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 11-19-2013, 08:00 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don' forget the valve cover gaskets for the aluminum non flanged covers. These Olds are the ticket and are a direct fit.

Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948

Comment

You miss out on a lot of cool things with that attitude, Rich.
          If you properly install your valve cover gaskets (to the valve cover), you won't have any problems at all.

(For Randy...and others..)
          Use a good gasket maker. (I like Permatex Ultra-Black) and coat your valve cover gasket surface with a film of this sealer.
          Do the same with one side of the gasket.
          Note I suggested a film. You don't want a bead of the stuff smooshing out all over.
          Then, put the gasket on the valve cover.
          Then, set the valve cover on a nice, clean, flat surface.
          Set a weight on it and let it set up overnight.
          Then... Use a small film of the gasket maker on the gasket and install the valve cover normally.
          You won't have a shifting gasket issue this way.
          BTDT...a bunch of times..
          Jeff

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          <snip>
          I would never use an Aluminum after Market Valve Cover, because of the poor Gasket holding surface so I do not know how well the Grommets fit.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I would try "Y" Block Ford 292, 312 etc. '54 to '64 V8 Valve Cover grommets they are larger than Stude. and MAY do what you want.
            B9A6570A .. Rubber Grommet-Valve Cover Stud / 1.00" O.D. x .32" I.D. x 1/2" thick / Obsolete

1952/53 215 I-6 / 1954/59 223 I-6 // 1954/64 Y block (239/256/272/292/312).

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has 94 = 800-543-4959.

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has 227 = 800-476-9653.

Source: PartsVoice.com (registration required), a NOS obsolete parts search website. Another website is rearcounter.com (no registration, just sign on and type away).

Searching for parts is free, Ford and many other vehicle parts are listed, but no Avanti or Studebaker, but it could be done.

Wouldn't it be nice if Mr. Ed, Jon Myer and etc Studebaker/Avanti parts dealers had their NOS parts listed online?
            Last edited by WinM1895; 11-20-2013, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the great info. I'll follow the instructions line by line when I get ready to install. Thanks!

Comment

Just me, but on a solid lifter engine such as the Studebaker V8, we know the rocker covers have to come off occasionally to adjust the valve clearance. So yes, I use the same procedure Jeff recommends to glue the gasket to the cover, but no, I don't put any adhesive on the head side of the gasket.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

By the way.....the Buick ones are a superior silicone rubber, and available right around the corner. But if you want obsolete NLA Y block stuff then that's ok too!
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948

Comment

Working...
                  X