Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: 1962 Lark sd 170 with a 3 on the tree

Hello everyone

My question is that when I push the clutch pedal to the floor to shift there is a bearing like noise that does not stop until I release the clutch pedal, Once I release it the car goes into gear and drives fine no slipping or anything like that. throwout bearing I'm guessing? any thoughts. If I need to replace the bearing what else should I replace or look at while I'm replacing it. I have never replaced a clutch before.

Thank
    Andy in Ohio

Sounds like the throwout bearing to me. Once the transmission is removed, you can easily change it via the large hole in the rear face of the bellhousing. I would suggest that you replace it, and leave the clutch itself alone, if it is not slipping. If the clutch winds up needing replacement in a year or so, you will have lost nothing but a little time, plus the experience you gained in replacing the throwout will make the clutch replacement seem less of a challenge.

Since you have to drop the drive shaft and transmission in order to do the throwout, examine both carefully. Replace any leaking oil seals on the transmission, and any U-joints that are sloppy, stiff, or show a coating of rust powder on one or more of the rubber seals. All of which will be quite inexpensive.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yep, likely the throw out bearing is making your noise. You'll have to pull the transmission to replace it. While you are there, remove the clutch disk by removing the bell housing, unbolting the clutch cover, and inspect the disk lining for wear. The rivets should be at least 1/16" below the linings, but they are cheap so unless it's like new, replace it. Inspect the flywheel and clutch cover for scoring or heat marks, clutch covers are replaced, flywheels are taken to a machine shop for machining. Look at the ring gear around the flywheel as well, looking for broken or missing teeth. Put a little hi temp grease in the pilot bushing (where the input shaft of the trans goes into the flywheel) and put it all back together.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
      X