Good fluids to use in the 169.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Good fluids to use in the 169.6

I'm ready to buy, fill, and check for leaks in the 50 Champion 170 cu. in.. All mechanicals are done and back in. I do have the shop manual....Have you had good luck with other fluids I might consider for my oil, tranny and antifreeze--pro's and cons...thanks

I'm happy with Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid in my M5's manual/OD transmission. It's made for transmissions with brass and bronze parts. The wrong fluid will eat the yellow metals.
    Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
      I'm happy with Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid in my M5's manual/OD transmission. It's made for transmissions with brass and bronze parts. The wrong fluid will eat the yellow metals.
      Gary, is that a 80/90 wt gear oil, or something like the non-detergent 40wt engine oil as suggested in conversations on the subject in the past?
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

For my transmission (3 spd/OD) I went to my local farm store (Bomgaars) and found a non-detergent 40wt oil. The label said that it was pure mineral oil, no additives whatsoever. For my engine I used Havoline 10w30 oil. It's working well so far.

Comment

For my engine oil, since it has the appropriate amount of zinc additive, I use Valvoline VR1 Racing oil. I use straight 30wt for all engines except the very tired 185 CI engine in my '55 Truck. It gets 40wt.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Gary Ash
            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
            '48 M5
            '65 Wagonaire Commander
            '63 Wagonaire Standard
            web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

on the '40 i used 30W non-detergent oil since that was what was always used according to the P.O... on the '51 the P.O. used 30W HD detergent - (API service SM, SL, SJ, SH). Both the Champion engine (169.6) and no oil filter.

i also threw in a bottle of ZDDP at each oil change. i may go to a racing or other oil with the ZDDP already added when i run out the the little bottles i have...

with no oil filter, the main thing is to change the oil frequently . i've changed mine every 1,500 miles or 6 months (fall & spring) - whichever comes first. i'm in a area where i can drive the '51 mostly year round.

re: antifreeze, both came with the "green stuff". the '40 came from New Jersey so she had a little more than a 50/50 mix.

can't help with gear oil, i never had to mess with it. the '40 was sold to a guy in Wisconsin. the '51 is a Detroit Gear automatic that has been using Dextron III or Dex-Merc.

hope this helps!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
              X