Pancake or Coffee Can????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Pancake or Coffee Can????

On six cylinder Studebaker engines, I have seen several types of dry element filters. There is, of course, the horizontal types used on the low hood sleek cars. Then...there are the ones used on others that adorn the top of the single barrel carburetors. For lack of better description, the one on my '48 Business Coupe is what I refer to a "Coffee-can" style. It is rather tall and looks similar to the "oil-bath" style filters.

I also have a couple of other engines that have a shorter dry element filter that I refer to as a "Pancake" style. Both, are the same diameter, accept the same filter element, and the main difference is the height. I like the looks of the Pancake style. I also think that the smaller filter means less "metal mass" to retain heat under the hood and perhaps quicker to cool off after the engine is shut down.

My question...When did the "Pancake" style come available? Were they available as an option simultaneously, or were they model specific?

I have one I am going to clean up, paint, and install on the '48. I was just wondering if anyone knows.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

The earliest I can remember seeing the Flat, low hood clearance type on a 6 would be 1959.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well...I have a few minutes before I have to go to a couple of meetings. So I found some batteries for the camera and went out and took a couple of pictures for comparison.

By the way, Rich...I remembered my framed 1955 showroom brochure that I use at shows with my truck display. It clearly shows the small filter on truck engines for 1955. I don't know if that is the first time it was used, but it was available at least by then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	coffee can filter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1683649

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pancake filter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1683650
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

OK the reason both of those are so rare is they are not Oil Bath Type, and as we know they were only sold to certain areas and Probably even less on Trucks, that low one is extremely rare.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X