Oil Cap pops off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil Cap pops off

It's happened twice now, I thought the first time I just didn't put the cap down tight. It's on an early 62 289 with the bypass oil filter.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

sigpic

They are supposed to breathe. Mine sits on there pretty loosely. Only time I've seen one blow off (and the dipstick blow out too) is when an engine fired in the crankcase. We were trying to start a 283 and poured gas down the carb, not knowing there was a hole in a piston. Kaboom. Dipstick parted my buddy's hair and the oil cap bounce off his forehead.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Crankcase pressure will do that if either the filter in the oil cap and the road tube and/or pcv valve are blocked or at least partially blocked.

If you have a road tube, it will be coming out of the valley cover (below the intake manifold, then down along side the engine to about the middle of the oil pan. There should be a cotter pin in the bottom of it holding some steel wool acting as a filter. Remove the cotter pin and steel wool and make sure the tube is clear by running a stiff wire up it. Replace with new steel wool and pin.

If a PCV valve, the valley cover will have a fitting where the earlier cars had a road tube. A hose on the fitting should lead to a PCV valve either in line to the base of the carb or directly fitted to the base of the carb. Insure the PCV valve is working and installed in the correct direction.

Regular maintenance (each oil change) should include washing out the oil fill cap in solvent and reinstalling it.
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

We lost one off David Livesey's Avanti on its first run at Bonneville this year. We had to wire it on like we did with the Salt-2-Salt car.

Comment

What kind of car with what engine? I just looked in the Shop Manual for my 1961 Hawk and reviewed the six vs the eight. I believe only the six cylinder models have the filter in the road tube. The eights apparently only use the oil filler cap as a filter.

I agree with Dick above it sure sounds as simple as a crankcase ventilation problem. Look in the Shop Manual for your engine and look under oiling. It will describe how to maintain what you have.

Comment

Per Warren's story, just for the heck of it, smell/check the dipstick to be sure a bad fuel pump is not sending explosive gasoline into the crankcase.

Comment

Would worn rings cause the crankcase to be over-pressurized and blow off the filler cap?

Comment

Originally posted by lark55 View Post
                Would worn rings cause the crankcase to be over-pressurized and blow off the filler cap?
                Yes, also stuck Rings and blow-by from worn Valve Guides and Valve Seals.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Short of an explosion in the crankcase, i.e. backfire with a hole in a piston as mentioned above, I cannot imagine the motor building that kind of pressure, under anything like normal circumstances. The caps normally breath in, but could breath out if the crankcase were to become pressurized. I'd think, if that kinda pressure is building in the crankcase, the motor would also be leaking like a sieve from places like oil pan gasket, valley cover, rocker covers, front & rear crank seals, etc.

You'd also be getting watery eyes from seriously excess blowby.

I'd guess its more likely that the cap fits too loose. All of mine require a pretty good tug to remove them.
                  Last edited by JoeHall; 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                    Crankcase pressure will do that if either the filter in the oil cap and the road tube and/or pcv valve are blocked or at least partially blocked.

If you have a road tube, it will be coming out of the valley cover (below the intake manifold, then down along side the engine to about the middle of the oil pan. There should be a cotter pin in the bottom of it holding some steel wool acting as a filter. Remove the cotter pin and steel wool and make sure the tube is clear by running a stiff wire up it. Replace with new steel wool and pin.

If a PCV valve, the valley cover will have a fitting where the earlier cars had a road tube. A hose on the fitting should lead to a PCV valve either in line to the base of the carb or directly fitted to the base of the carb. Insure the PCV valve is working and installed in the correct direction.

Regular maintenance (each oil change) should include washing out the oil fill cap in solvent and reinstalling it.
                    Or better yet, throw the steel wool or 'Rats Nest' away!

Comment

Barring some serious blowby into the crankcase it sounds Iike the cap is past due for it's 50 year cleaning.

Comment

This has nothing to do with the "problem" but most of you live far away from me, so I doubt I'll ever meet you guys. I just wanted to say if you look at the responders to this post and add up the number of posts you guys are great! You guys come across as a very reasoned T-H-I-N-K-I-N-G types of guys that like so many on this forum make this club great. I've done some nice give aways but rarely have contributed any real substantial knowledge like Bob Palma, and so many others. This post shows the essence of what makes this club great. Some humor, (past due for it's 50 year cleaning) CREDIT:jnormanh, some good advice, some comments, and just general good old fashioned guys talking cars. I had no idea oil caps ever blew off....but if that is a problem for you....we're gonna stop that! Look at these guys stepping up to the plate for the new guy with one post......Great Club...Long Live Studebaker!

Comment

My 61 Champ lost it's oil filler cap while on the freeway. I figured it was due to the engine being tired & needing an overhaul. When I got my 62 Champ the previous owner had rigged up a retainer that slipped over it's filler cap to hold it on. Compression is low in a couple of cylinders on this one and the heads are mismatched. I have an extra pair of the correct heads that I'm going to have done so it should be a one day swap. That is unless I go ahead & install the 2x2 manifold I just got or go with a Edelbrock AFB to replace the 2 bbl that's on there now.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

breather cap

Originally posted by jhwestcott View Post
                            It's happened twice now, I thought the first time I just didn't put the cap down tight. It's on an early 62 289 with the bypass oil filter.
                            I would like to suggest a comprehensive vacuum test, there are about 9-10 various tests to determine engine condition. This will give you a better understanding of your engine condition. It will determine where the most probable leaks are occuring. There was an earlier post about cross fireing it would be good to review that post. I would further suggest to run your engine at night and inspect it in the dark for unwanted ignition cross fireing, this may tell you something.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              I'd guess its more likely that the cap fits too loose. All of mine require a pretty good tug to remove them.
                              I'm suspecting that, barring some additional specific input from the original poster, Joe has given the most likely answer. If this Hawk is the early version, it still has only one oil filler cap located on the filler standpipe in the center of the engine and not on the valve cover. That, on my GT was directly in the path of high velocity discharge air from the fan shroud. If the clips on the oil cap are not holding tight, that cap could work its way up and be blown off the filler tube.

This post is a good example of a "drive-by" posting...where the problem is stated and the poster leaves the room for a while. Hope he returns soon and fills us in.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X