power steering ram/cylinder mounting to frame measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: power steering ram/cylinder mounting to frame measurement

Installing the bendix power-assisted steering system from a 64 Hawk on my 53 Champion Coupe. It looks like I need to drill holes in the frame to mount the ram, and, of course, I'd like to measure twice and drill once. But I don't know quite where to mount it.

Does anyone have a picture (that would be great), or would someone mind getting me measurements from the front of the frame to each of the two bolts?

Thanks in advance, and while I'm sure this has to have been covered here in the past, searches on here and on google resulted in nothing I could use...so my apologies for asking if it has already been beaten to death.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
    Installing the bendix power-assisted steering system from a 64 Hawk on my 53 Champion Coupe. It looks like I need to drill holes in the frame to mount the ram, and, of course, I'd like to measure twice and drill once. But I don't know quite where to mount it.

Does anyone have a picture (that would be great), or would someone mind getting me measurements from the front of the frame to each of the two bolts?

Thanks in advance, and while I'm sure this has to have been covered here in the past, searches on here and on google resulted in nothing I could use...so my apologies for asking if it has already been beaten to death.
    Dave

If one of the resident knowledgeables can confirm an Avanti is the same, my 74 is on the hoist with the ram installed. I'll get a measurement and a couple of shots if they are equivalent.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob.
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

During your layout, make sure that there is no contact of the ram with the left sway bar support at the steering centre position. The later ('63-64) left support has an arc on the rear vertical member to clear the ram.

Comment

Originally posted by WCP View Post
          During your layout, make sure that there is no contact of the ram with the left sway bar support at the steering centre position. The later ('63-64) left support has an arc on the rear vertical member to clear the ram.
          Bill

Will the Avanti measurements work for Dave in the 53 frame IYO? If so, I'll post the numbers and pix.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

I will go out to my shop and take some measurement on my Hawk.

Allen
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I looks as though there is no difference between Hawk and Lark frame placements. I measured my Hawk at 9" from the front of the frame rail. No difference with the Lark at 9" as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130907_202505 resized 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1683527
              This on my 63 Lark

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130907_201923 resized 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1683526

Here's the Hawk

Hope this helps

Allen
              Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM.
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
              PSMCDR 2013
              Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Allen--

Just what I needed! Thank you.

Thanks Bob and Bill as well. It is good to know about the sway bar support, since installing Dave T.'s heavy duty set-up is in the works.
                Dave Nevin
                Corvallis, OR
                Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

On this old frame, 9" seems to be as Allen noted..

DO NOT forget the two clamps that hold the hose under the frame..

More pics

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Wow, that is beautiful. Thanks so much for the pics and for double-checking the measurements.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Thanks very much to the contributors to this thread and to Dave for asking the question. I will be adding power steering to my '54 Conestoga and this will be a big help.
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA
                      Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Just a quick follow-up--following the measurements offered above I got the power steering ram mounted. Thanks everyone.

I'm almost embarrassed to post a pic of my setup after SScopelli's beautiful ones above, but here it is.
                        Dave Nevin
                        Corvallis, OR
                        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                        X