What the heck is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: What the heck is this?

I have another beaut for you guys. Has anyone heard of using a 5/8" tapered seat spark plug in our v8's? Well I pulled 8 AC Delco R44TS's out it. That's exactly what they are!!! I checked the seat, in the head, and it's not tapered. It's a standard Studebaker flat surface meant for a gasket.
    1964 Gran turismo Hawk
    1954 Packard Pacific

Originally posted by erik64 View Post
    I have another beaut for you guys. Has anyone heard of using a 5/8" tapered seat spark plug in our v8's? Well I pulled 8 AC Delco R44TS's out it. That's exactly what they are!!! I checked the seat, in the head, and it's not tapered. It's a standard Studebaker flat surface meant for a gasket.
    I am not sure who's been working on that 64 of yours but do yourself a favor and do not let him back in your Garage!

BTW Did you get your starter back in place with all the proper parts?

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The PO passed away so I can't ask who his mechanic was. I hope this is the end of it!! Yeah Tom Karkiewicz sent me the parts. I put them in yesterday. Starts great now. Tom is a great resource, thanks for the tip. I'll be using him for other stuff.
      1964 Gran turismo Hawk
      1954 Packard Pacific

Comment

Fords use the tapered seat Plugs, I can not imagine putting those in a Stude. and not knowing something was wrong! While the Stude. is not a 292 or 312, they have been accused of being 289 Fords!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

FWIW, given the fact that H14Y's are hard to find these days, I am thinking it might not be a bad idea to machine the heads on my next V8 to accept those taper-seat plugs, which are cheap and plentiful.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I posted this a few minute ago.

I just ordered a set of 8 H14Y sparkplugs on ebay. The seller has six sets for sale at $8.99 a set plus $4.99 shipping. The irem number is 310713185025. I have no affiliation with the seller; just thought the group would like to know.

Comment

Incredibly They had the same thread size and reach. I think you are right Rich. I bet that mechanic thought this was a ford 289 :-) Oh well, I wonder what other ford parts I'm going to find :-). Thanks for the tip Ginetta.
              1964 Gran turismo Hawk
              1954 Packard Pacific

Comment

Working...
              X