Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: My 1961 Lark

Hello All,
    Recently got back into Studebakering. I guess once you catch it there's no cure. This is the 3rd Lark I've owned. First one back in 1978. My Lark needs a complete front end rebuild. Car is in Savannah, GA and I'm in Flowery Branch, GA. Anybody know someone in either place that can do the rebuild?
    Attached Files

Looks like a real sweetheart; rarely do you see '61 Larks done up as "rods." Nice execution.

Welcome back to the ranks of Studebaker owners. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Boy those rear tires look WIDE...Are the wheel houses cut?

Comment

Nice '61 Hardtop.

Most of us know places, but usually not so much in the South East corner. Good knowledgeable Garages are becoming a thing of the past like our Cars.

I hope someone in Georgia comes up with one.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wheel tubs are stock. 275/40/17s on back. About 1/2 inch clearance on the outside and an inch on the inside.

Comment

Welcome! Contact Dan Miller.. Here's his Forum profile. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...8-ROADRACELARK

Dan knows how to work on Studebakers, and lives in Flowery Branch (or not far from it).

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Very nice car indeed. Black, rare hardtop, ya have a real head turner for sure.

Looks to be a 63? Rear bumper??
                61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Not sure about the rear bumper, that's the way I got it. 350 Chevy, 350 turbo, Dana 44 rear. Runs GREAT! Front bushings non-existent, springs have been heated to lower it. Rest of the car is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by wwogg View Post
                    Hello All,
                    Recently got back into Studebakering. I guess once you catch it there's no cure. This is the 3rd Lark I've owned. First one back in 1978. My Lark needs a complete front end rebuild. Car is in Savannah, GA and I'm in Flowery Branch, GA. Anybody know someone in either place that can do the rebuild?
                    So Thats what happened to that 61, I watched it for several months, just could OR would not pull the trigger on it.......Love those 61's......Enjoy, its a NICE car......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Welcome back! Nice looking car. Your post, regarding the front suspension, has me thinking about many of us and our mechanical skills. Looks like the builder of your car concentrated on the power plant and treated the suspension as an "after thought." Many of us (including me) have spent so much time playing around with the exciting mechanical parts...things that roar, whirl, and growl...that we find it easy to neglect the stuff that's greasy, grimy, boring, and difficult to reach. That is, until it breaks. That's where I am, mechanically speaking, and how much fun can you have with a car with an engine that runs and sounds great...when it drives and rides worse than an unsprung horse-drawn farm wagon?

I need to refresh the suspension on a couple of my cars and I keep putting it off. Mainly, because it is a weak point in my mechanical experience and knowledge. Hopefully, you will find someone who won't mind allowing you to look over his shoulder and learn while repairing yours. It is the kind of skills all of us could benefit from...for me, a bucket list item for sure. Once you get that front end repaired and properly adjusted...that should be one heck of a fun ride!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                      X