Information wanted on my Studebaker motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Information wanted on my Studebaker motor

Hi folks I'm new to Studebaker's and I have purchased a an engine for my T project the engine number is 367042 which I'm told dates it to 1948 and gives me a 170 cu in motor, the gearbox has T90-1 cast into the casing which I'm told is from a truck? any help with info on this motor would be superb, like tech specifications, rev range etc.. I plan to campaign my T in Vintage Hotrod hill-climb's and sprint's and hopefully some speed testing on Pendine sands in the UK... so i don't want to do anything that will damage the motor like over revving etc...
    sorry for the probably dumb newbie questions but I want to get the best from my motor and car..
    cheers
    Shaun

If you can assure yourself that the engine will have #40 oil pressure at 2500 rpm, you don't need to worry about over revving it. Valve float will take care of that.

There are dual carburetor manifolds available, and dual exhausts can be fabricated, both of which will enhance the performance of the engine. Of course, new rings and valves will help, too.

I can't help with the Transmission, it's beyond my pay grade.

Have fun with it, the engine itself may last forever, if well maintained.

Comment

With forged rods and a forged crank, you'll have a hard time breaking it unless it's already been over-ported. What kills those engines is cracks in the blocks on the exhaust valve seats.

We took one about as far as you can go with it and got 234 HP from it with a turbo. A good one should pull a T around pretty well.

Here's one we broke:

Here's the hot intake setup if you want to get crazy:

Comment

Not to steal the thread, but Bob, that is a gorgeous turbo setup.
        Dave Nevin
        Corvallis, OR
        1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

A Dave Molnar special.

Comment

Bob that turbo is superb... your giving me idea's.... I plan to run the current motor in stock tune for now and look around for one of the larger cu in motors to do some tuning with.. I have a mate here in the UK who is playing with turbo's on flathead sixes.. not Studebaker though, I think I'm the only one over here using these motors...

Comment

Shaun,

Sounds like your engine might be out of a truck. The Champion 6 cylinders in a passenger car would have used the much smaller T96 tranny. It takes a different (truck) bellhousing to mate the T90 to a Champion 6. But that is ok, because the T90 is much stronger; a possible down side is that if it is originally from a truck, the first forward gear is probably a straight cut gearset and has a lower ratio than a passenger car tranny. But for what you are using it for, you might like the lower first - it would enable you to use a higher numeric rear axle ratio and/or larger diameter rear tires.

And you can also find overdrive equiped T90 trannys. Are you planning to go with a 3-speed tranny, or adapt a late model 5 speed tranny?

Remember Shaun........we need pictures!
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

r1lark, thanks for the info, I will be running either 19 inch rear wheels or 16 inchers fitted with 7-50 tyres so a low first gear will probably be ideal.. had thought about fitting a modern 5 speed box and still might but there is something about running it all as original as the part's left their respective factory's.. hence rod brakes etc.. mind you an overdrive T90 box would be ideal for giving it longer legs on a run but still keep it all pre50 (ish)

Comment

I think a hotrod T exists for one purpose: To showcase an engine. Why anyone would build a T with a small block Chevy or Ford is a mystery to me. I'd rather see one with an RX-7 Wankel or a Datsun B-210 engine than an SBC. A Stude 6 is an excellent choice. It's an engine most people have never seen and those who have seen it haven't ever gotten a good look at it all the way around.

Comment

Working...
                  X