Parts car advice, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts car advice, what do you think?

Now I know I ask so advice alot, and sometimes I get flack for it, but most of the time I get good solid advice and insight. So I'd a little more advice. The car I bought recently is as most of you know disasembled. I want to put it back together but not as it once was. With the interior shot and the motor out I want to do some upgrading. I want to fit as much of a gt hawk interior as possible in this car, now that's kinda low on my priority list since the only part of that I will to get it going is the dash, which could always be done later anyway. Granted it's stock gauge cluster is long gone anyway. I would most like to go with a 289/ 4 speed combo, but I'd settle for a 3 speed. That will be needed to drive it of course, the brake system is complete and still attached to the car but... it's a 53 and I don't want to waste all my work in a bloody car accident. The stock rear also have to go but that can be sourced from a junk yard brand X. I could (hopefully) live with the stock brakes, but why bother rebuilding that crap. Now here's my point. I think the best way to do this would be a later parts, preferably a hawk gt hawk, but an earlier hawk or lark would do, if it had the right stuff. I put out some feelers and found some stuff, which what I want opinions on.

The first is is one a member contacted me about. It's sat for ten years but the motor is free. The body is rusty but not horrid, not worth saving but a decent parts car.
    Pros It has A/C, it has a full dash, it has a free engine,OD trans, good winshield, good tailights,mostly complete, cheap and delivered to my door, ran and drove ten years ago, which alot of parts cars haven't done in decades.

Cons no seats,dash pad is rough,what is left of the interior is blue, no headlight rings, not sure what rear it is, not a four speed, not much could be sold off the body due to rust, not sure if frame is too rusty, haven't seen it in person.

The owner said if I decided to do it in the next few days, he'd deliver it to where I want here in town and it would be mine for 1200 bucks. Here are some pics Same guy has a four speed bucket seat 62 lark you'll see in the backround for 2k.

Now here's the second deal It's a long story, basicly a guy had a 62 hawk 4 speed, and a 53 C coupe. His plan was to take the front sheetmetal off the C coupe and it's trim and put it on the GT body, but cut off the roof and make a convertible, needless to say he changed his mind. But he took the whole GT chassis, rebuilt the brake system, new bushings all around freshened up the suspension, freshened up the motor and trans, new shifter bushings, a couple seals, tighted linkage, major tune up,that sorta thing, Then he repainted all of it. He then proceded to reinforce the chassis for the convertible plan. All the work looks real good in the pics. I bet you could drive the chassis around it's so complete. He has a mostly solid GT, a rusty 53 coupe body and frame, all the parts from both, repro floor pans, a bunch of other, and the gt interior is nice.
    Here is the original ad
    I have a 62 GT Hawk chassis with a 289-4bbl and T-10 4-speed. The rearend has 4.09 gears. The chassis has been sandblasted, epoxy primed, and painted with acrylic enamel black. All parts have been disassembled, cleaned, inspec-
    ted, and reassembled. All seals and gaskets have been replaced. All brake parts are new with a willwood remote dual master cylinder for safety. It has a Carter AFB with all new lines. All spring bushings and A-arm bushings have been replaced. I also have everything else for a 62 hawk, and some 53 stuff.
    We talked a bunch, and he said he wanted 3500 for everything, he didn't want to split it up so I sent him a list and an offer
    Here that is

Well this would be exactly what I need to jumpstart this project of mine. But the only things I would want would be
    The Chassis of course
    the GT Hawk dash/wiring harness
    GT hawk taillights/ rear fender trim
    GT hawk seats, door panels,carpet if you have it.
    Other small GT electronics and any items contained within the dash.
    One 53 trunk lid
    GT hawk headlight rings
    If any of the rear valance pieces have the cut outs for dual exhaust I would like that too, not a big deal though
    I offered him 2k for those things
    So we talked again and he said I could have those items, and some other odds and ends I might want out of the pile, I mentioned the glass I need, and that would come with it, and a body if I wanted it. For 2500
    Now the pros and cons are pretty obvious on this one, the biggest problem being it's in Kerens texas. After u-haul rental,gas, and assuming I sleep in the truck I'd be looking at at least 700 to get it home. The biggest atracttion of this is that I would have everything ready to go right onto the car, it would make this project worlds easier, but I can't afford that right now. If he was within even 4 hours drive it would be a no brainer, but as it is..... These are pics of everthing he has not just the stuff I want but you can see it in the pics

Also be before I finished typing I got a hold of a guy here in my town that has a bunch of engine parts, and brake parts but that's mostly unimportant. He also has engines and speed parts. We'll meet this weekend.

The way I figure it even if I don't buy either car, which I'm really thinking hard about the missing seat hawk. iF anyone was thinking about the texas parts lot now they have some pics right?

Comment

I really like that first '63 GT Hawk because it looks quite complete, you would be surprised how much you could get for all of those Hawk parts that will not work for you. The two good side grills, the hood and grille, the decklid etc., etc.
      It would most likely have the HD Dana model 44 rear with Automatic it would be a 3.31 and could be a TT, perfect for a 4 Speed for the street.

Of course as everyone always says: buy the best you can afford, but that finished frame looks like it would be too pricey.

Aren't most of those rust areas just surface?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You would be WAAY money ahead to buy the GT here in SC at $7K and ship it. Added bonus, INSTANT gratification. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I really like that first '63 GT Hawk because it looks quite complete, you would be surprised how much you could get for all of those Hawk parts that will not work for you. The two good side grills, the hood and grille, the decklid etc., etc.
          It would most likely have the HD Dana model 44 rear with Automatic it would be a 3.31 and could be a TT, perfect for a 4 Speed for the street.

Of course as everyone always says: buy the best you can afford, but that finished frame looks like it would be too pricey.

Aren't most of those rust areas just surface?
          I think that first hawk is a 3-spd OD? If so, wouldn't it more likely have a 3.73 rear?
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

GT

$2500 is only $1300 more than the first Hawk ($2000 w/hauling it home) and IMHO you will have much more than that into your car using the first Hawk.

I'm going to go all Dave Ramsey on you here and say if you need to get a second job, third job and rob a bank, get the second choice. It will make your first sortie into Studebakerdom a lot easier and gives you a much better chance of completing it before you burnout or get frustrated and sell it cheap to the next owner.

I've been bring 'em back for a lot of years and I know what you'll need to invest in youthful enthusiasm and total effort to finish this project with Option #1 and you need to be sure you have that drive to finish what you start. You may well have it but just to be sure, make this project your learning experience and do the complete resurrection on the next one.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
              GT

$2500 is only $1300 more than the first Hawk ($2000 w/hauling it home) and IMHO you will have much more than that into your car using the first Hawk.

I'm going to go all Dave Ramsey on you here and say if you need to get a second job, third job and rob a bank, get the second choice. It will make your first sortie into Studebakerdom a lot easier and gives you a much better chance of completing it before you burnout or get frustrated and sell it cheap to the next owner.

I've been bring 'em back for a lot of years and I know what you'll need to invest in youthful enthusiasm and total effort to finish this project with Option #1 and you need to be sure you have that drive to finish what you start. You may well have it but just to be sure, make this project your learning experience and do the complete resurrection on the next one.

Bob
              That's alot of what I was thinking when I was considering it, but man it's pricey, I bet it'll save tons in the long run, not to mention having all the hard stuff done, but I need to be able to afford it. He didn't rebuild the motor or even replace the clutch but it's all in good working order. I could probably rebuild the brakes myself, and the suspension myself, with another car, and might still have saved some cash, but man I'll still need interior and alot of other stuff. I know it's the better idea, but I can't get that money together fast enough. The first option is on a time limit so If I'm gonna buy it I need to act fast and I can buy it and still have cash burning a hole in my wallet. Where as with option two I don't even have enough to buy it and bring it home with my savings, if I did I would buy it.

Comment

What would be great would be to find some one in my area who wanted the other and would split gas with me.

Comment

The latter Texas GT would be alot easier and cheaper in the long run for purposes of your swap...but whether the local GT Hawk will be a good donor depends entirely on the TRUE condition of the car's mechanical systems and frame. See if the owner will allow you to spend time going over the car--take your mechanic friend with you to run compression on the engine, check out the frame thoroughly for rust, how tight the front suspension is, brakes, and all other major systems. IF The car checks out, try to negotiate on price; if it doesn't pass muster, just walk away and look for another donor candidate.

Unless the owner has someone beating down his door for the car, he may also knock a few hundred off the price. It couldn't hurt to try. As mentioned, you could also sell off the body panels, trim, bumpers, grill surrounds, taillights. It will take awhile to sell off the leftovers and be a hassle, but you could recoup much of your purchase price.

Should the local GT Hawk be a good candidate, you could get it running and driving after going through the brakes, steering, suspension, fluids, fuel system and all the safety-related items. Once the GT is running well, it's really no different than the starting point with the Texas car in that you'll still need to modify the GT Hawk frame mounts and attach the '53 body tub and sheet metal and spend countless hours of assembly.

Comment

GT,

Here's what I would do...

Buy the local Hawk, transplant the driveline into your 53 shell, transplant the GT dash into the 53 shell, make do with the interior, improve as money allows.

Four speeds are fun but if you have a pile of T86s both standard or OD used the T86s and adapt a floor shift.

When I was younger I bought a lot of larks at 200.00 a pop for spares and build the first version of my hardtop... I've spent most of the last three years replacing the floor and the trunk and this spring I am fixing rust damage in the right front cowl area... Someday I would like to drive the car rather than patch and fix but I digress

Jeff T
                    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                    The Replacements.

Comment

I would buy the Texas car in a second! I would then get ALL the parts offered and begin to plan..............

1. Transplant the coupe body on the GT frame....... THOUSANDS saved in time and conversioin parts needed.

2. inventory what is of value on your project card not needed for above.

3. get to selling every left over part

Individual parts have more value than an entire car.

53 chanpion to a V8 car is WAY more involved than you seem to be aware of...... not only brakes but shocks, springs,,,,,
                      It is an addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
                        I would buy the Texas car in a second! I would then get ALL the parts offered and begin to plan..............

1. Transplant the coupe body on the GT frame....... THOUSANDS saved in time and conversioin parts needed.

2. inventory what is of value on your project card not needed for above.

3. get to selling every left over part

Individual parts have more value than an entire car.

53 chanpion to a V8 car is WAY more involved than you seem to be aware of...... not only brakes but shocks, springs,,,,,
                        Oh I am aware, that's why I wanna do a frame swap, probably either way I go.
                        He doesn't know for sure if it's rusty in the frame, but he said he doubts it. Cause the body isn't awful, even so I could make do just swapping everthing over.

Comment

Wilbur you should post more often, you always give sound friendly advice, and if someone didn't agree with your point, you still can make a person consider your way of looking at things.

Comment

Buy both packages even if you have to take out a loan. What you don't use you could sell and more than break even.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                              You would be WAAY money ahead to buy the GT here in SC at $7K and ship it. Added bonus, INSTANT gratification. Steve

Wolfie,
                              Whats the details on the GT Hawk in SC?I guess i missed seeing that one...
                              Thanks,
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X