Fan shroud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Fan shroud

I was looking for something on the SI site and I could swear I saw a listing for a fan shroud for a 170 Six for a 1960 Lark. This car doesn't have it, but did they originally come with a shroud?

Saw one at the South Bend swap meet.
    I know that they were part of a kit for dealer installed AC.
    Have not seen that kit in a long time.
    It's a real simple square of bent sheet steel that fastens to the radiator bolts and stands about 2 inches from the radiator core, with a circle cut out for the fan.

Comment

So, did it look like something that would actually improve the fan's effect on the radiator, did you think? I'm not worrying about originality, more for function.

Comment

Oh yes, they help by encouraging draw across the entire surface of the radiator core.
        Just not elegant looking like on the C-K models.

Comment

If I recall, I think it was an option. The cars that had V8's and A/C usually ended up with a fan shroud. I put one of Thibeault's fan shrouds on my car way back in 2004 or 2005 when he started reissuing them, on my '64 R2 Commander(along with new fan clutch, recored radiator, and the biggest fan Studebaker provided), and it helps alot. Instead of the air being whirled around past the radiator, it's now ducted through the fan instead. They weren't the most elegant of items, just a metal pizza box with a hole cut in the center, of course if you look at the front of a Lark, you can see the reason why from the lack of space up there between the fan and the radiator.
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Anyone thinking of adding or fabbing a fan shroud, remember: Half the depth of the fan blade pitch should be in the shroud and half should be out. Does that make sense? Easier to illustrate it, but I'm not that tech savvy.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I had one for a while on my 62 Daytona and cant remember why I removed it. Right now it is still residing in the garage of my old house. It is simple enough of a design to make one on a simple sheet metal brake as Skyway said.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thank you for the explanation.

Comment

as far as the distance the fan sticks out of the shroud...I knew a guy from GM performance who also raced and he said thru GM testing they showed the rear of the fan should protrude from the shroud by 1/2 inch only. that is how I build mine.
                  1947 M5 under restoration
                  a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X