No announcement yet.

1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop fenders and crossmember question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop fenders and crossmember question

While I'm listing things I will be looking for at the May meet, there's some things, actually a whole lotta things, that I'll need for the '63 Daytona. One of them is front fenders and crossmember. Looking through my Chassis manual, I have a couple of questions for the Lark guys on these cars. I'm not up on earlier Larks as I am with the Lark types, so I need some questions answered:

Are the 61-63 Lark front fenders all the same? Say, if I get some 61-62 fenders, will I be able to bolt up the '63 front fascia and hood, without the fascia or fenders looking out of place with each other?

Do all of the models (Hardtop, 2dr and 4dr Sedans, Station Wagons, Convertibles, etc) have the same front fenders, hood, and fascia? I.E., can I use fenders that came off of a 2 dr Sedan to put onto a Hardtop, and everything else on the Hardtop will bolt up in front?

The crossmember......I will also need a new rear transmission mount crossmember(or that one piece batwing/transmission mount), as there's some considerable rust in mine. This is the crossmember that goes from front door post to front door post, and bolts beneath the frame rails. Originally, the one on the Daytona was made for a Flightomatic w/column shift. I need one for a Powershift w/floor shift, which I know is a heavy duty Flightomatic with a reversed valve body. I looked in the Chassis manual and my eyes about glazed over at the listing of crossmembers for the sixes, but it seems there's only one for the LHC V8, for all models, and all years.

To install a Powershift, aside from pulling the one from my '64 Commander, or salvaging the one from the Daytona, what Lark crossmember would I be looking for to install a Powershift transmission in a '63 Daytona?
    1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
    1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
    1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
    1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Quote: "Originally, the one on the Daytona was made for a Flightomatic w/column shift. I need one for a Powershift w/floor shift, which I know is a heavy duty Flightomatic with a reversed valve body. I looked in the Chassis manual and my eyes about glazed over at the listing of crossmembers for the sixes, but it seems there's only one for the LHC V8, for all models, and all years.

To install a Powershift, aside from pulling the one from my '64 Commander, or salvaging the one from the Daytona, what Lark crossmember would I be looking for to install a Powershift transmission in a '63 Daytona?"

You have answered your own question, you say there is only one crossmember for all LHC V-8's, so that is the one you need, check which years the Parts Catalog says they fit and find one, "ALL" means the range of the Book, '59-'64.

There is no difference between a Flight-O-Matic's outside dimensions or fit and that of a Power Shift. You just add the floor shift shifter, linkage, Oil Cooler and cooling lines to the FOM Car.

Yes all body styles of front ends are the same.
    The front fender differences are mostly in the inner fender not so much outer skins.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have a good used crossmember whats it worth?
      James
      sigpic

Comment

Fender difference is at rear bottom corner.
        Older ones meet a rounded rocker panel; later ones meet a flat bottomed rocker panel.

Comment

Excellent!! Thanks for help guys!
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
          X