Need Head Gasket for '63 289

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Need Head Gasket for '63 289

In order to get the quench gap in the "sweet spot" of .035" to '045" I am in need of a shim type steel head gasket at .015" thick at the flat (compressed) thickness.

It sure would have been easier and more effective to have decked the block when it was machined, rather than hastle w/ it now that it is assembled and waiting for the completed heads to be installed - But that is what sometimes happens as you build and learn.

I have '020" shim gaskets, .040" Best Gaskets fiber gaskets and .050" fiber (Fel-Pro?) gaskets. Am willing to buy or trade for what I have.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Paul TK

I would give Dave a call

Studebaker Parts & Services
    Dave & Janet Thibeault
    13 Nick Lane
    Maynard, MA 01754
    978-897-3158

Comment

.015" thick...?
      Has anyone made them this thin ? Not from what I've heard/seen. You understand, that, that's about three pieces of normal wrting paper thick..!

Mike

Comment

Or, to look at it another way, the .020' "shim type" is about the thickness of four sheets of paper.
        I do not know if anyone has ever made a shim gasket at .015" - but someone alluded to the idea that they had used them in the distant past, therefore the inquiry.
        Thanks for the suggestion - i'll call Dave T.
        Paul TK

Comment

I believe .015" is correct for the OEM metal ones, not to be confused with the "sandwich type". The .015" ones are the thinnest available AFAIK, and they are still commonly available from our vendors. If nobody else has them, call "Tom, the bus guy".

Comment

The "stock" shim gaskets I have recently purchased are at .020" (compressed). Unsure as to whether it is Fel-Pro or another (no ID on the gasket).
            The search continues
            Paul TK

Comment

Home now, and just went into the garage and checked an NOS set I bought from the bus guy. They are between .014" and .015"

Comment

Joe,
                Thanks for confirming the gasket thickness. Who is the "Bus Guy" and how do I contact him??
                Paul TK
                Last edited by Paul Keller; 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X