Head Chatter Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Head Chatter Marks

Going through some old parts tryig to decide which to junk or keep. I have a 6-cyl OHV head the does not appear to have any cracks, but has some chatter marks on the side opposite the park plug on one cyl. Can this head be used again if the rough areas were ground out, or would that change the compression too much for the one cyl.?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6cyl_Head.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1738326
    Thanks

T-cab

Seems still usable to me. You should have to CC the head after surfacing to be on the safe side, but I'm quite sure the good old six won't notice the difference. If we were in the same area, I would have bought it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAB View Post
      I have a 6-cyl OHV head the does not appear to have any cracks
      Thanks T-cab
      If you haven't already, first thing will be to get it checked for cracks using either dry mag or wet flourescent. Visual inspection is not sufficient....by the time they get big enough to see with the naked eye, they are really bad.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Agreed, "visually" it looks fine.
        But have it hot water pressure checked. Magnafluxing woun't work with that surface roughness. It will show up as bad.

They aren't chatter marks, it's either water damage or just a casting flaw.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          Agreed, "visually" it looks fine.
          But have it hot water pressure checked. Magnafluxing woun't work with that surface roughness. It will show up as bad.

They aren't chatter marks, it's either water damage or just a casting flaw.

Mike
          Agree with the previous advice. If it were mine, I'd have the head pressure tested and if it passes, run it through the shot blaster to remove the rust and mill just enough to clean the gasket surface.

The third possibility for those marks is detonation. Usually, if an engine had detonated sufficiently to damage the head, it has eaten up the piston long before. However, I've seen some Studes driven with a hole in the piston top.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X