Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transplanting Stude car front suspension to truck frames????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Transplanting Stude car front suspension to truck frames????

Had an odd thought while looking at some recent threads about swapping in fatman or other front suspensions onto Studebaker trucks... Has anyone ever tried to use Studebaker car front suspension parts on a Studebaker truck frame???

Just wondering

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Why? To me that would be a step backwards, maybe 2.

Comment

Why not?

Sometimes you use what you've got....Just a thought experiment

Jeff T.
      \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
      The Replacements.

Comment

The easiest way to do this is to take a Lark four-door sedan, chop the body off behind the front doors, add a panel behind the seats to enclose the cabin, and then add a Dodge pickup bed to the rear.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

A 2 door would give more cab room.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
            A 2 door would give more cab room.
            Good idea, an extended cab pickup!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
              Had an odd thought while looking at some recent threads about swapping in fatman or other front suspensions onto Studebaker trucks... Has anyone ever tried to use Studebaker car front suspension parts on a Studebaker truck frame???

Just wondering

Jeff T.

Jeff.....There has been Camaro subframe swaps done to "C" cab frames in the past.....I think Volare sub frames has also been swapped around and on and on .....Keep on studebakering

Comment

For subframe swap, look at the current thread by Deadbodyman, who is doing a 1949 pickup and installing a Mustang II IFS by "Helix", with all the trimmings. Looks very practical, and almost affordable, but of course lots of welding. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

I remember some people touting the Ford Aerostar van front end as being a very easy swap into a Stude pickup. Using a Studebaker car front clip would be every bit as much work as using a Brand X clip[, without gaining the benefits of power or r&p steering and disc brakes. And you'd have to deal with different bolt patterns for the front and rear wheels, too.

Many people have put the Stude pickup cab and box onto a Chevy S-10 frame, too.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                    I remember some people touting the Ford Aerostar van front end as being a very easy swap into a Stude pickup. Using a Studebaker car front clip would be every bit as much work as using a Brand X clip[, without gaining the benefits of power or r&p steering and disc brakes. And you'd have to deal with different bolt patterns for the front and rear wheels, too.

Many people have put the Stude pickup cab and box onto a Chevy S-10 frame, too.
                    I actually like the Aerostar front end a lot; easy to work on with decent brakes and power steering all in one sub assembly. Too; that front end also has the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern hubs.
                    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

S10 is a good match for 50&51 fronts, don,t know about any of the rest, have not measured any. Mac

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                        I actually like the Aerostar front end a lot; easy to work on with decent brakes and power steering all in one sub assembly. Too; that front end also has the 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern hubs.
                        A search of Aerostar and/or buddymander (exforum member - ducking quickly as I type this) should give a lot of info on Aerostar to truck conversion. But I don't recall any car conversions.

Bob

Comment

Current thread called "Ford Aerostar front end under a Stude car?" is having the same discussion. You will want to read both to get all comments.
                          Norm

Comment

Originally posted by over50 View Post
                            Current thread called "Ford Aerostar front end under a Stude car?" is having the same discussion. You will want to read both to get all comments.
                            Norm
                            Not really. I started the Stude car thread and the CW is an Aerostar front suspension module would be too wide but works quite well under the trucks.
                            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                            X