Batwing body mount on 47-52 convertibles and hardtops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Batwing body mount on 47-52 convertibles and hardtops

I am working up my Solidworks models for the torque boxes for my 47 Champion Convertible. I have amassed many pictures found over the internet and using my car as an example. However, I don't have a lot of detail around the front batwing mount. It seems like the box is closed up in that area with a weldnut inside the box unlike the no torque box models with acces to the nut on the inboard side of that little box support that CE sells? My lower section is all gone there and the pictures I have seem to say it is closed up. I do have the CE mounts 3 per side that I bought last fal. Would anyone have some pictures of this area to share?
    The project is coming along pretty well so far, but it always takes longer than you think to piece something together. Thank goodness I was able to buy a few drawings from the SNM last fall.
    I would appreciate any help I can get.
    Regards

Neil

You are correct in that there is no ready assess to what must be a weldnut or equal inside the torque box. Not that this picture will help much but was is shown is the batwing mount under the remains of the torque box looking forward on the driver's side. You'll see the bottom and inboard side of the torque box is missing and there stub wall aft of the weldnut, beyond which you see the torque box front end plate. Sorry I could get the camera inside the remains of the torque box to show the weldnut.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0135.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1679075

Comment

Thanks again Dave. That helps ger me unstuck. I think I will put a gage nut in there taht can float along the slot in the CE front bracket to allow a little forgiveness fore and aft as the slot does.
      Is that a 52 hardtop in the picture?

Regards

Neil

Comment

You guys talking about a boat here?

Dean.

Comment

Body Mount 47 Convertible

Actually it is the torque boxes for a 47 Champion Convertible. Here are a couple of pictures of the LH Front Drivers side as to where I am at right now.

Regards

Neil
          Attached Files

Comment

Neil, yes my photo is of my 52 hardtop, or what is left of it, and Dean: after 30+ years working for the US Navy the marine jargon is second nature sometimes, just be grateful I didn't find use for an athwartships in there somewhere :-).

Comment

Working...
            X