Undercoating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Undercoating

I spent much of this weekend scraping the undercoating from a hawk I am restoring. I have used the aresol rubberized undercoating in the past and I can say without a doubt it can't hold a candle to the stuff they put on back in 59. What is this stuff? Is it still made today? What are the rest of you using? The asphalt based coating really did do a good job protecting the base metal and if I could I would put the exact same product back on the car. After all, it worked for the first 53 years. Any recomendations?

Go to Spi paint web site look up their sprayable bed liner it is also made in a paint tintable version. If you have any questions call and talk to Berry or Andy great guys and they will tell you anything you need to know about their products.
    Last edited by swvalcon; 02-10-2013, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
      I spent much of this weekend scraping the undercoating from a hawk I am restoring. I have used the aresol rubberized undercoating in the past and I can say without a doubt it can't hold a candle to the stuff they put on back in 59. What is this stuff? Is it still made today? What are the rest of you using? The asphalt based coating really did do a good job protecting the base metal and if I could I would put the exact same product back on the car. After all, it worked for the first 53 years. Any recomendations?
      It's MORTEX! More about it here and in other past SDC Forum threads: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=mortex

This is about the best "substitute” for the old MORTEX I’ve found on the market today. It’s expensive and you’ll need to get the proper spraying equipment as well:

3M™ Body Schutz™ Rubberized Coating works as a protective coating with sound deadening qualities designed for cars, trucks and vans. The black, rubberized, coating bonds to a wide variety of surfaces and is best applied with our 3M™ Body Schutz™ Applicator Gun, part number 08997.

Good Luck!!!
      Last edited by Welcome; 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

There is also a product called Ziebart. My Dad had it put on his 1965 Rambler Marlin, as an option that was availible back then.

It was pretty tough stuff from what I recall.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
          It's MORTEX! More about it here and in other past SDC Forum threads: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=mortex

This is about the best "substitute” for the old MORTEX I’ve found on the market today. It’s expensive and you’ll need to get the proper spraying equipment as well:

3M™ Body Schutz™ Rubberized Coating works as a protective coating with sound deadening qualities designed for cars, trucks and vans. The black, rubberized, coating bonds to a wide variety of surfaces and is best applied with our 3M™ Body Schutz™ Applicator Gun, part number 08997.

Good Luck!!!
          That 3M product has been around for quite some time. Used as a gravel guard on rocker panels as it can be painted (I believe).
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

THe Spi stuff is really nice. When I get the floors done on my hawk I'll post pictures of it. Some of it will be paint tinted to match the car and some will be just the standard black.

Comment

I think the guy who put mine on in 1959 must have got in trouble from the supervisor for not using enough the day before, it was almost 3/8" thick in places. Actually a good thing it was cause the metal underneath is still new. I did not see any paint over it but the body color appears to be underneath it.

Comment

I'm re-doing a 50 Champion..The underside was sprayed and you are right some of it comes off about 3/8 thick. Some of mine is peeling off, but mostly intact. On a good note---I would say it's the original undercoat. So if you find it all over the underside, it'll give you an idea of what kind of shape it's in ( the originality).Click image for larger version

Name:	M1310004.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1678986

From one Iowan to another---if you use that can aresol stuff---please wear a mask
                Rick

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                  I'm re-doing a 50 Champion..The underside was sprayed and you are right some of it comes off about 3/8 thick. Some of mine is peeling off, but mostly intact. On a good note---I would say it's the original undercoat. So if you find it all over the underside, it'll give you an idea of what kind of shape it's in ( the originality).[ATTACH=CONFIG]21298[/ATTACH]

From one Iowan to another---if you use that can aresol stuff---please wear a mask
                  Rick
                  Thanks Rick
                  I don't think I will put any thing on these days without a mask. I am getting older and smarter it seems.

Comment

Working...
                  X