Dual Exhaust for a 283 V8 '66 Daytona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Dual Exhaust for a 283 V8 '66 Daytona

I have a desire to install dual exhaust on my 66 Daytona (283 v8) I've done a lot of reading on this forum, and I want to make sure that I have it correct before I move forward. Am I correct in that the Avanti II ram horn exhaust manifolds will fit? I do believe that I have manifold leaks, so replacing now seems like the right thing. Then, the "hot setup" is to purchase the rest of the (2 1/4") exhaust (including the head pipe) from Don Simmons- Silvertone Exhaust Systems in Ontario Canada? If most of you believe that this is the way to go, how readily available (or who is currently supplying) these exhaust manifolds? I know there is a lot of discussion on this, and I have read much of it, just want to be sure, I know many of you have installed duals on '66's, can't believe they didn't come through the assembly line with dual exhausts......Thanks for the help!!

OK: having gone through that exact same thing on my late 1962 Lark with its swapped in Chevy 350 and 2" outlet 1960's C10 Rams Horns atop 1965-66 283 engine mount pedestals (stock location); you should be able to use a pair of 2 1/2" Corvette Rams Horns. I used Parks pipes for the headpipes and was disappointed; the L/H one fouled the steering reach rod (drag link to the Pitman arm) along with a custom bent/cobbled up (by me) system out back. Next time; I'll probably go with the Simmons twin system, manifolds on back.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

My 66 Daytona 283 has dual exhaust using the stock exhaust manifolds. I dropped the car off at a local custom exhaust shop at 9AM and had it back by 2PM. Are your manifolds cracked or just leaking because of bad gaskets? Unless you're going for max performance the stock manifolds should work OK.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
        OK: having gone through that exact same thing on my late 1962 Lark with its swapped in Chevy 350 and 2" outlet 1960's C10 Rams Horns atop 1965-66 283 engine mount pedestals (stock location); you should be able to use a pair of 2 1/2" Corvette Rams Horns. I used Parks pipes for the headpipes and was disappointed; the L/H one fouled the steering reach rod (drag link to the Pitman arm) along with a custom bent/cobbled up (by me) system out back. Next time; I'll probably go with the Simmons twin system, manifolds on back.
        Exactly what was said above with a couple of additions. Ram Horn SBC manifolds were used for many years on the standard issue Chebby cars not necessarily Avanti specific. They came in 2 and 2 1/2 inch and, if you don't have them, go to Rockauto and look at Corvettes from 60 to 85. Most use what you want and they have the best prices I've found. Some will be 2 1/2" 63-65 or so with the rest 2". So be aware of the difference. Some will also have brackets cast onto them that you may not need. I use the 2 1/2" one but I'm a little stronger output than you. 2" should suit you just fine and be less expensive both in cost and pipe cost.

Simmons above is Don Simmons (Silvertone Exhaust). No web page but an advertiser in Turning Wheel and available by phone. Darn nice guy and a great product, I have a set of 2 1/4" on my 83 Avanti. He only makes Stainless units so as an option, you may want to visit a local muffler shop and get a quote once you have the manifolds. Don only makes 2 and 2 1/4" pipes.

If the manifolds you want have brackets you don't need, just grind them off, I did on the 2 1/2" ones on my 83.

A pretty straight forward solution.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          My 66 Daytona 283 has dual exhaust using the stock exhaust manifolds. I dropped the car off at a local custom exhaust shop at 9AM and had it back by 2PM. Are your manifolds cracked or just leaking because of bad gaskets? Unless you're going for max performance the stock manifolds should work OK.
          Ditto on the muffler shop. I like the idea of a fully welded exhaust system. If you don't already have one, befriend a local muffler shop. Use them for all your exhaust service and you will find them to be very easy to deal with and usually very friendly on pricing. I've used the same shop for 25 years. I've recommended all my family to go there. 1 brother, 6 children and countless friends. I always tell them to say "Sal sent me". That makes for a VERY friendly encounter when I show up for some work.
          sals54

Comment

Just some added info, IIRC, Dorman (re)produces the 2 1/2" outlet ramshorn manifolds that I think Bob is talking about and they are dirt cheap, something like 50$ a pop. When I took apart my exhaust system I noticed that one manifold had a flat gasket mating surface, and the other one was bevelled (exit end of the manifolds). I then discoverd that the flat one was for the passenger side, and was made that way to mate with the heat riser valve, and the bevelled side was for the driver's side. My car has never had the heat riser, and my Dad originally just cut a 'doughnut' in half so one side was flat, and the other was bevelled, and that sealed up the head pipe for 30 some years. I'm not sure what the exhaust shop did for a new gasket when I had a new system installed, but what ever they did works too. I guess the bottom line is, if your manifolds have different mating flanges, now you know why. Regards, Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I visited a local, custom exhaust shop today. With your advice in hand, the owner of the shop came out and said "ya know, unless the manifolds are cracked, I can make the head pipes and run a set of dual exhausts in 5 hours." Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                This is exactly what I am going to do. Visited a local custom bending shop today. I'm not going to over complicate it if I don't have to. Does your car have a red or champagne color interior? Mine is Mount Royal red exterior Witt the champagne interior.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy26 View Post
                  This is exactly what I am going to do. Visited a local custom bending shop today. I'm not going to over complicate it if I don't have to. Does your car have a red or champagne color interior? Mine is Mount Royal red exterior Witt the champagne interior.
                  Mine is the very first 66 Daytona built. It was pulled from the 65 production line and the Hamilton Design Group hand built the rest, even painting it a non Studebaker color, Maderia Red, thought to be GM Mederia Maroon and possibly the only Studebaker ever painted this color. It was re-vin'd by the factory as a 1966, Vin# C530006. It has the Champagne White interior. The car was used by Studebaker for promotional shows until the end and was then sold in Calgary, Alberta. If you have the Turning Wheels articles on the 1966 cars they refere to the missing twelve 1965 cars that became the 12 extra 1966 cars. Mine was one of those twelve. Stu Chapman, Studebaker of Canada Director of Avertising and Puplic Relations has helped me get a lot of information on the car along with the SNM Archives and members of this forum.
                  The funny thing is, if I do a full restoration of this car, I'll go back to the original single exhaust.
                  Is your car registered in the 1966 Daytona registry? Bob Barrick is the contact. He is known as 2R5 on this forum.
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Sketchy26 View Post
                    I visited a local, custom exhaust shop today. With your advice in hand, the owner of the shop came out and said "ya know, unless the manifolds are cracked, I can make the head pipes and run a set of dual exhausts in 5 hours." Thank you very much for your help!
                    Perhaps you should visit another shop before committing. 5 hours to do an exhaust system sounds a little heavy on the labor expense. Shop rates are often $75 - $100 per hour. Try a local muffler shop, NOT a name brand like Midas. We have a shop near me called Firehouse Muffler. They are a custom exhaust place and are VERY expensive. Use a small shop guy with a greasy, holey shirt and a cigarette dangling from his lips. He's your man.
                    sals54

Comment

If I remember right the 65-66 with the 283 engine had a special exhaust manifold for the Driver side because of the type of power steering Studebaker used, it is the one with the stub nose up front to mount the pump, never seen that one on any Chevy cars, I think they are rather hard to come by. One can always use block hugger headers, that is what will be going on my 66 Daytona hardtop when ready.

Last edited by candbstudebakers; 01-12-2013, 11:02 PM.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

My 66 Daytona has Hooker block hugger headers & a muffler shop 2 & 1/4" pipes (aluminized) that fit & sound good, although when they were done (by a friend who owned the shop) he didnt do the tail pipes but ended them in front of the rear axle.
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

66 Daytona Hardtop? 1966 Daytona's were only made in 2 Dr Sports Sedans. I'm guessing that's what you mean. BTW, thanks for the vanity, it's just as you said.
                          [QUOTE=candbstudebakers;710354]If I remember right the 65-66 with the 283 engine had a special exhaust manifold for the Driver side because of the type of power steering Studebaker used, it is the one with the stub nose up front to mount the pump, never seen that one on any Chevy cars, I think they are rather hard to come by. One can always use block hugger headers, that is what will be going on my 66 Daytona hardtop when ready.QUOTE]
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

[QUOTE=thunderations;710425]66 Daytona Hardtop? 1966 Daytona's were only made in 2 Dr Sports Sedans. I'm guessing that's what you mean. BTW, thanks for the vanity, it's just as you said.
                            Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                            If I remember right the 65-66 with the 283 engine had a special exhaust manifold for the Driver side because of the type of power steering Studebaker used, it is the one with the stub nose up front to mount the pump, never seen that one on any Chevy cars, I think they are rather hard to come by. One can always use block hugger headers, that is what will be going on my 66 Daytona hardtop when ready.QUOTE]

No Ken I mean 66 hardtop with no post, it is the car that Studebaker should have built and after 20 years of owning this 64 Daytona hardtop with the plans in my head of doing this car like a 66 time is now and have been working on it for the past 6 months, the engine in the picture is going into the car and was built a few years ago just for this car, it is a 69 350 HP 327 with duel 4's at first I was going 4 speed but as I get older changed my mind to 700-R4 or 200-4 now that I have every thing to make the change I need to move ahead and get it done.

Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

OK, Bob, You're building a car that never existed, but should have been. I agree that the hardtops are nice looking, a convertible would be even better. It's too bad Studebaker didn't use the GM 327 engines in 1966 as a replacement for the R1 to get a performance model.
                              1950 Champion 4Dr
                              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                              X