Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Help Please! M5 distributor and oil pump install

All,

Happy New Year. Need some help--I'm at wits end! Installing the oil pump and distributor in my '48 M5 (with a '49 IR 6 cyl engine). I've read all the posts and manuals on the topic (StudeRich's inputs really helpful in those).

My issue: When I put the oil pump gear in, the manual says to start with the key way at the bottom of the engine and as you pull it on to the cam gear it will rotate to the rear of the engine. Then, with the distributor pointing at #1 and the engine at TDC compression stroke (UDC on the vibration damper), it should all line up. I can't do that. I have to start with the key way pointing toward the rear of the engine and pulling it results in the key way pointing up at the top of the engine vice the rear. That is the only orientation that will allow me to have the distributor pointing to #1. I've ensured that I'm TDC on compression stroke on #1 cylinder and ensured I have the rotor pointing to #1.

My question: Is that OK? Seems that it would be but don't want to get this wrong!

For fun--added a pic of the new metal cam gear (nice piece).....and yes I lined the cam gear and crank gear up properly so think I'm good there.

Many thanks to all.

Does this mean that you ordered an original NOS Alcoa Aluminum H.D. Cam Gear from a Studebaker Vendor?

If it is a 1685777 it is a V-8 gear these are way more plentiful than 6 Cyl. but I would think there would be a fit issue you would notice, but maybe not. I know the V-8 has narrower teeth on the gear, it is not as wide as a 6.

H.D. Gears were available for H.D. Commercial Truck/Taxi 170 OHV Six Cylinder engines as well, but of course a different part number and gear.

The only other issue I can think of is the orintation of the wires in the Dist. Cap, are they clocked like the manual?
    That would make everything line up per the Manual.
    I do not see a problem as long as you can properly time the ignition, it just makes me wonder why is all.

Did you check your post to see the pic after you loaded it? I do not see it.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had the same problem. I sent my engine off to a rebuilder and it returned with the pump gear out of whack. So I lived with it by moving the plug wires around on the the distributor to compensate. When I had the pan off to fix the rear seal I decided to fix the pump gear orientation. If you follow the manual the #1 one the distributor does not line up (#1 closest to the front of the engine). I compensated by rotating the gear a bit more, don't remember how many teeth but what is important is that the distributor is now pointing correctly per the manual...
      1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
      See rescue progress here on this blog:
      http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X