Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New front springs for 1957 President with air.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: New front springs for 1957 President with air.

I am looking for heavy duty front coil springs with spacers (2) and end pads (4) for my newly-acquired 1957 Studebaker President with air conditioning. Studebaker International lists either 526122 (heavy duty 1953-1966) and 1541866 (1957 President), both for $195/pair. Which of these would be best for a soft ride? Many years ago I bought "heavy duty" front coil springs for my Sky Hawk and they have held up well, although the ride is a bit stiff. Could I do better price-wise with springs from Eaton-Detroit Spring, supplier of most OEM springs? Thanks.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

Heavy duty springs tend to give a stiff ride. Why are you looking for heavy duty springs, rather than normal duty springs?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Eaton is more expensive, but they are the to go to if you need something special. I have tested Stude springs and they are all over the place in #inch, even in the same spring number. Best to measure your ride height. Then think how the ride is to the seat of your pants and the way you drive. You also have to remember that Stude designed their springs for being loaded with 3 people or 350-400 LBS. in the car at ride height.

Comment

One thing to remember is this~ one size does NOT fit all.

Anytime someone is here asking about coil springs I tell them to call the folks I did.
        coilspringsspecialties.com are the folks you wanna call.

They'll make EXACTLY what you want.
        They'll even ask what Stude part number you want.

I've been happy with the set under 'Baby' since 2001.

BTW- Baby's coils are heavy duty, but with a one inch drop.
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Heavy duty springs tend to give a stiff ride. Why are you looking for heavy duty springs, rather than normal duty springs?
          Air conditioning adds a lot of weight up front, and the springs are sagging quite a bit after 55 years. I will probably will not live long enough to see new springs sag much, and would rather have the ride a little stiff for better handling and less roll. Rear springs may have more effect on the softness of the ride. I have noticed my 64 and 65 Cruisers are a little firm, but handle well Right now the springs sag so much there is no room for shocks.
          sigpic
          Jack, in Montana

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            One thing to remember is this~ one size does NOT fit all.
            Anytime someone is here asking about coil springs I tell them to call the folks I did.
            coilspringsspecialties.com are the folks you wanna call. They'll make EXACTLY what you want.
            They'll even ask what Stude part number you want. I've been happy with the set under 'Baby' since 2001. BTW- Baby's coils are heavy duty, but with a one inch drop.

Nice looking ride! I'll call them !
            sigpic
            Jack, in Montana

Comment

It is hard to go wrong with MOOG CC655 springs. They are a modern, progressive rate spring for some models of 1980s-1990s Cadillac, and are available at FLAPS for less than $100. I have installed three sets now; one in a 63GT, one in a 62GT, and one on a 56J. All those cars have AC and power steering. The MOOGs are simply the best spring I have ever ran in a V8 Stude. They eat up smaler bumps and road imperfections, yet quickly and progressively become firm enough in the twisties and bigger bumps to avoid excess heel-over or bottoming out. I doubt you'd regret installing a set. One the above Hawks, the ride height is about same as OEM, heavy duty springs.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                It is hard to go wrong with MOOG CC655 springs. They are a modern, progressive rate spring for some models of 1980s-1990s Cadillac, and are available at FLAPS for less than $100. I have installed three sets now; one in a 63GT, one in a 62GT, and one on a 56J. All those cars have AC and power steering. The MOOGs are simply the best spring I have ever ran in a V8 Stude. They eat up smaler bumps and road imperfections, yet quickly and progressively become firm enough in the twisties and bigger bumps to avoid excess heel-over or bottoming out. I doubt you'd regret installing a set. One the above Hawks, the ride height is about same as OEM, heavy duty springs.
                Nice looking 56 GH! I will look into those MOOGs and probably get them. I found this great link and it convinced me. No more probably. Thanks, Joe! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...rator-question
                Last edited by jnfweber; 12-03-2012, 04:15 PM.
                sigpic
                Jack, in Montana

Comment

I found a more recent (and better?) picture of Baby~

Betsy (the Parkview) has stock springs.
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                    I found a more recent (and better?) picture of Baby~

Betsy (the Parkview) has stock springs.
                    Both nice looking cars. I just bought the Duralast RC655V(M00G 665) coil springs from AutoZone for $45.99 + tax delivered to the store on December 7. Thanks to all on this forum for the advice. I wonder if I should buy new end pads as well? The original springs and suspension don't have much rust.
                    sigpic
                    Jack, in Montana

Comment

The end pads will keep them from squeaking.

Comment

I wanted to order a set of moog cc655 springs for my hawk project. Called around for price found anywhere from $85-$ 120 for the the same pair of springs.

Comment

This car was a low rider!

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                          The end pads will keep them from squeaking.
                          I called the shop that will install my springs. He told me that I can cut end pad substitutes from rubber hose slit along one side to place over the the top and bottom coils. This will prevent squeaking in lieu of end pads. BTW, I just jacked up the rear of the car and discovered that it has 3 or 4 inch lowering blocks. That is why it looks like a California low rider. The present springs do not squeak.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by jnfweber; 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Jack, in Montana

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                            I wanted to order a set of moog cc655 springs for my hawk project. Called around for price found anywhere from $85-$ 120 for the the same pair of springs.
                            Rock Auto $49.99 + Shipping.

Comment

Sweetolbob Is that each or is that for a pair? The price I got is is for two in a box. but I'll check at rock auto.

Comment

Working...
                              X