Dum Dum is Really Sticky Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Dum Dum is Really Sticky Stuff

One quarter window (55 President C Body) is now installed with new rubber and one more to go. Somewhere I missed the memo on using Dum Dum.

Ordered the Dum Dum from S.I. The stuff comes stuck in neat little rows, with paper stuck between the layers. When you remove the strips to use it they stretch. It sticks great...especially to the separating paper and to itself. Also sticks really well to fingers and almost everywhere except where I wanted it to go. After going through most of my supplies to see what would remove the stuff, I found that good old WD 40 was by far the best thing. Hands, painted car body, window rubber, bottom of my shoes, etc. Didn't trust the shoes just yet on "She Who Matters" carpets, so they are out in the garage. Just thought you might want to know!

C/B

put it in the fridge, or move up to the great white north....either way, dum dum will become less sticky...only thing is when you use it between two clamped surfaces, and warm temps come, it will continue to get squeezed out of the joint, and you will have to re-tighten the fasteners, but sticky on the fingers... not. Regards, junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Sorry, Richard! The memo got misplaced.
      It is, indeed, sticky. I like to keep my hands water wet so it sticks to the surface I'm working with rather than me. And, it will never stick to a surface that is less than clean so, just scatter a lot of dust and sand on the carpets beforehand.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Junior and Rockne for the good advice. Moving to the Great White North is sounding better and better, post US elections. However, for now, the more economical course of action was to put my strips of sticky goo in the old garage refrigerator overnight. Out to the garage for window #2 install. I am lookng forward to a quicker install than window #1.

C/B

Comment

Working...
        X