Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone notice the pcv hose's somehow attach to the valve cover of a 259 ( 1955)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Has anyone notice the pcv hose's somehow attach to the valve cover of a 259 ( 1955)

Why did they do this? It looks like its attached and vented into the valve cover ,and vented outside with that disc thingy. Weird"

There were no PCV applications in 1955. Maybe someone added something....
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

My understanding is that the engines for California distribution in the latter years ran a hose from the base of the air cleaner to the right valve cover breather cap to provide more positive crankcase venting at highway speed. Does anyone have a picture of this setup? I would like to duplicate it on my 259.

Comment

My car is a '63, sold, delivered, and spent its whole life in California. There's no setup like described above.

The PCV is screwed into the base of the carb (WCFB) and a hose connects to the port in the valley cover where the road draft tube went in earlier applications. That's how the shop manual diagram shows it, as well.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
          My car is a '63, sold, delivered, and spent its whole life in California. There's no setup like described above.

The PCV is screwed into the base of the carb (WCFB) and a hose connects to the port in the valley cover where the road draft tube went in earlier applications. That's how the shop manual diagram shows it, as well.
          By 1963 PCV systems were mandated on all cars in all states. The type that you describe is the across the board type used in 1963. What is being discussed is the earlier retrofit and select state (like California) applications that were just sort of stuck on/added on.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My '62 Hawk (CA car) has the PCV in line at the rear base of the 2bbl. carb.
            Andy
            62 GT

Comment

Before PCV's were mandated in all states they were required in California.
              Several companies (AC-Delco comes to mind) made retrofit PCV valve kits that hooked up in different ways to different points on the engine.

When you see a PCV that hooks to the intake manifold, you usually see a separate hose from one of the valve covers to the air filter.
              When you see this, the valve cover caps are NOT vented to the atmosphere. The clean air path goes from the inside of the air filter, to the engine crankcase near the valve cover.
              Then, the polluted air gets drawn through the PCV valve into the intake manifold where it gets burned off in the combustion process.
              Anything that got changed in the last 48 years could have compromised how the system was supposed to work.
              HTIH
              Jeff
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                What is being discussed is the earlier retrofit and select state (like California) applications that were just sort of stuck on/added on.
                Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought the OP was referring to some sort of factory kit.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
                  Why did they do this? It looks like its attached and vented into the valve cover ,and vented outside with that disc thingy. Weird"
                  Is 14x7 possibly referring to the valley cover as valve cover? Might the question be referring to the draft tube, which preceded the days of PCV valves?
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                    Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought the OP was referring to some sort of factory kit.
                    It could still be a factory installed kit. Factories, Studebaker included, just used a sort of "Band Aid" approach for California cars, and any other state that required it, prior to the 1963 model year, when all states required PCV.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Could this be the 'disc thingy' referred to? See red arrow. Click on pic to enlarge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fram PCV.StudeAC0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1675652
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

That is not the disc that is on my car. This piece is no larger than say 2andhalf inches in diameter. It has a roughly 5/8 diameter nipple that is connected or actually tee- off . Here the hose is 1/2 to 5/8 in diameter, runs from the back of the intake manifold to right side of the right valve cover then that disc is a tee and vents into the right valve cover then tee's into the front of the intake manifold passage. My car was built in California. This is not connected to the valley cover in any way. I thought maybe this is a factory installation. It certainly looks that way with the tee off disc running into the valve cover . And the large hose makes it look obtrusive.
                        Last edited by 14x7; 10-06-2012, 01:29 PM. Reason: Clarlifcation

Comment

Something like this? http://www.mgexperience.net/archive/...al_USA/2176928
                          Attached Files
                          Jim Bradley
                          Lake Monticello, VA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
                            That is not the disc that is on my car. This piece is no larger than say 2andhalf inches in diameter. It has a roughly 5/8 diameter nipple that is connected or actually tee- off . Here the hose is 1/2 to 5/8 in diameter, runs from the back of the intake manifold to right side of the right valve cover then that disc is a tee and vents into the right valve cover then tee's into the front of the intake manifold passage. My car was built in California. This is not connected to the valley cover in any way. I thought maybe this is a factory installation. It certainly looks that way with the tee off disc running into the valve cover . And the large hose makes it look obtrusive.
                            It probably was not something installed at the factory when new, but rather, an aftermarket item installed (even by a Studebaker dealer) to meet later California pollution standards/requirements.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I have one or two valve covers at home with an aftermarket PCB setup similar to throne described. I will try to dig them out if I still have them. From memory they have a hole in cover that has an attached, by two pop rivets, flange. The hose attaches to that flange somehow. These are from California cars. One is definitely1963.

Comment

Working...
                              X