Shim Head Gasket Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Shim Head Gasket Sealant

Recently queried Fel-Pro re: the shim head gasket included in their engine overhaul set. Asked if the gray coating was a sealant and, if so. is it OK to use an additional sealant, such as spray on Permatex Copper. They replied NOT to use a sealant, that it would interfer w/ the coating on gasket.
    Any other thoughts on their reply??

Paul TK

The use of a sealer depends on the composition of the gasket. If you are talking about a steel shim gasket for Studebaker engines, I use a couple of coats of spray Coppercoat. If the gasket has a teflon or a slippery type of surface like the ones used on later engines from other manufacturers, then no sealer is required. Bud

Comment

Bud, said it well. I think you have a composite type head gasket. A steel shim gasket is just that, a single piece of very thin metal. I could be mistaken but I think Fel-Pro only makes the composite type for the Stude V-8.
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

The tipoff here is the grey coating on the gasket which is very likely teflon. As Irish said, Fel Pro didn't make a shim gasket for Studebakers, the only ones I've seen were made by Victor. Bud

Comment

A buddy of mine always coated head gaskets with STP before installing them. His theory was that the gasket would more easily slide into proper position as the head was being torqued down and the excess STP would just burn off causing no damage.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The gasket is definitely steel shim w/ a gray paint-like coating. It came w/ a Fel-pro gasket set - Where it originated, I do not know. However, Fel-Pro seems aware of it since they responded to my original question (yes, I do know the diff. between a composite and steel shim gasket).
            Thanks for all the responses - i think I'll go w/out any additional coating. Interesting that the coating may be teflon.
            Paul TK

Comment

Not trying to start a debate here but if it came with your Fel-pro gasket set I would love to see a pic of it. I have never seen a shim-type head gasket from Fel-pro, they have always been the composite type.

Joe
              sigpic

1962 Daytona
              1964 Cruiser
              And a few others

Comment

I wonder if Fel Pro started making shim type head gaskets because Victor stopped producing them several years ago? Bud

Comment

Working...
                X