Heater valves on '64 and '65 Lark Cruisers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Heater valves on '64 and '65 Lark Cruisers

I plugged the heater line for my Malibu Blue '65 Cruiser for the summer as it was alway "hot". With winter coming on, I will remove the plug so I can heat the car. I am not sure the valve is working correctly but it is easy to see. While inspecting it I noticed the hose from the valve to the defroster was kinked (see photo, black hose, red hoses are coming from engine) and the connection from the valve comes off its bottom. Then I looked at the Parchment White '64, and saw the hose to the heater comes off the top of the valve. I wondered if I could turn the valve on the '65 [made in Canada] upside down so the hose would not be kinked, but the controls from the cable would be on the wrong side. I am not even sure if the valve on the '65 works, but the piston moves freely in both directions and it looks like it should work. Would the kinked hose to the defroster make the valve send hot water to the heater? I am not sure the valve on the '64 [made in USA] works but the hose to the defroster comes off the top of the valve. It must have been a [bear] of a job to connect it in that location. Photos below, '64 on Left, 'kinked '65 on Right. Any suggestions? Like a longer hose to extend down into foot well? Thanks?

sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

Original heater hoses had a 90 degree bend molded in them about 4 inches from the end. Any aftermarket automotive hose supplier has them available. Dayco, for instance. Ask for 3/4 inch heater hose 90 degrees by 4 inches by 48 inches (or whatever long length you like in increments of 12 inches. If the counterman is good he'll be able to get you a hose.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
      Original heater hoses had a 90 degree bend molded in them about 4 inches from the end. Any aftermarket automotive hose supplier has them available. Dayco, for instance. Ask for 3/4 inch heater hose 90 degrees by 4 inches by 48 inches (or whatever long length you like in increments of 12 inches. If the counterman is good he'll be able to get you a hose.
      Thanks for the information. It looks like it might be difficult to access the connection to the defroster coil. Do you have any ideas? I could join a short length with the 90 degree bend, but to reverse direction from down to up would require 180 degree bend. Or??
      sigpic
      Jack, in Montana

Comment

Working...
      X