distributor cap and plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: distributor cap and plug wires

my 1964 wagonaire is driving me crazy. I think the dist. cap is off 1 tooth clockwise. I found a diagram for the wires and cap, the car and pic. don't match. The car runs, but will not stay running, and idles very ruff. It's a 289. I replaced the plugs and wires, but one at a time so I didn't mix them up. The car has new fuel lines, new fuel pump, and checked the gap for the points. I can do some stuff on the car, but the dist. and the timing are beyond me. any help would be nice. If I can't figure it out, I'll put it on the trailer and take it to a mech.
    Thanks
    Steve

Comment

You want simple, then do this:
      Remove the spark plug from number one cyl. ..have a remote starter switch hooked to your under hood magnetic starter solenoid...place your index finger lightly over the spark plug hole...gently tap the starter so that the engine will turn..you want to feel the piston come up in the cyl...and blow your finger off the hole....if it sucks on the finger....try again that was in the intake stroke...you need exhaust stroke...when y the finger blows off look at your vibration damper..the ign mark (R1) should line up with 4 degrees..if not keep repeating the process till it does. Now..take off the dist cap and see where the rotor is pointing...that position is where number one plug wire has to be. You then have to go counter clock wise one plug at a time to make sure wires are in proper order....you should have a Studebaker dist cap picture as to the firing order of the car. It sound complex..it is not....you could go on YouTube and find this done...search for how to find number one fireing order on V8
      Originally posted by Boehm View Post
      my 1964 wagonaire is driving me crazy. I think the dist. cap is off 1 tooth clockwise. I found a diagram for the wires and cap, the car and pic. don't match. The car runs, but will not stay running, and idles very ruff. It's a 289. I replaced the plugs and wires, but one at a time so I didn't mix them up. The car has new fuel lines, new fuel pump, and checked the gap for the points. I can do some stuff on the car, but the dist. and the timing are beyond me. any help would be nice. If I can't figure it out, I'll put it on the trailer and take it to a mech.
      Thanks
      Steve

Comment

Working...
      X