Gears are jumping out, manual gearshift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Gears are jumping out, manual gearshift

The first and reverse gear are jumping out when I start driving may HAWK.
    The clutch has been replaced and is very strong.

Any idea, thanks
    Walter

80 Fiat Spider
    63 Lark Regal 4 Dr. sold 2015
    60 Hawk sold 2017 in England
    56 Golden Hawk
    56 Corvette (John Cougar Mellencamp's C1)
    68 Volvo P1800S
    56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

http://www.speak-to-doc.de/oldi/

Hi Walter:

Hopefully it is a linkage adjustment. Backtrack on any changes recently made before onset of problem. Perhaps a missed gear shift raking the gears? If none, apply, it may indicate a worn gear. I probably should know, but what kind of Tranny (3 spd, o/d, 4 spd., sincro. to low?, and what shift linkage (floor, 3 on tree, etc.?)

C/B

Comment

3 spd , steering gearshift , I hope it is the linkage adjustment, I wiil talk tomorrow to my mechanic,

Thanks
      Walter

80 Fiat Spider
      56 Golden Hawk
      68 Volvo P1800S
      56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

Look at your motor mounts also. Sagging motor mounts, especially the rear mount, can be one of the reasons for your problem. Look also, at the bushings in the shift linkage. Good luck.

Comment

It seems to be a damage to the gear box
          Walter

80 Fiat Spider
          56 Golden Hawk
          68 Volvo P1800S
          56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

Now it seems to be a problem of the adjustment on the linkage. Either second and third gear work, or first and back gear. Someone can help? Are there any instructions/pics for adjustment?

I have the shop manual 62-64 (for my Lark) but no informations about THREE SPEED Transmission

Thanks
            Walter

80 Fiat Spider
            56 Golden Hawk
            68 Volvo P1800S
            56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

Santosh, I have scanned the pages of the adjustments but I only have them for 1959 to 1964. If yours is before that it could be similar or the same. I am having issues with the photo hosting server and will post a link when it is sorted out. Len.

Comment

Thank you Skybolt, it is a 60
                Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                56 Golden Hawk
                68 Volvo P1800S
                56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

and don't rule out a mis-matched engine to clutch housing replacement that wasn't "dialed in" correctly.

Comment

The bell housing only needs to be aligned if it wasn't the one that came off the car(unless the alignment studs were removed)
                    to adjust the linkage is fairly easy as long as you pay attention to detail
                    befor you jack up the car.
                    First move the shifter thur the gears , is nutral Inline or do you have to wiggle it to go from first to second ( if it dosen't go thur nuetral easily it needs adjustment)
                    Secound go from reverse to secound does the shifter top out at the same hieght? ( if it dosen't it needs adjustment)
                    third, in first feathering the clutch to move forward do you feel the shifter raising slightly( if it does it could be a bad motor mount)
                    If you want to adjust the linkage two people make this very easy
                    with the car properly jacked up on jackstands and safe !!!!!!!. One person (perferrible formiliar with the shifter position.and pattern) in the drivers seat
                    with car in nuetral
                    have other person under car, remove linkage from trans shifter levers ,rock levers to make sure you feel the detent on the shifter cams for neuetral,
                    the person in the car move shifter in the nuetral postion back and forth to making sure the steering colum levers are aligned
                    holding the shifter towards the steering wheel to hold this position in nuetral
                    The person on the trans end (after loosing the clevis nuts and cotter pins) rotates the end of the clevis on the linkage shaft until the pin slides thur the clevis ( being centered)and the trans lever ,then do the other clevis and lever install cotter pins don't rebend cotter pins til you shift thur gears
                    The person in the car should notice shifter goes from first to secound smoothly
                    Tighten nuts on clevis ,Bend cotter pins, grease grease fitting on colum and you should be done
                    Hope this helps
                    1959 HARDTOP R2 4speed
                    1960 conv R2 auto
                    SDC member since 1972
                    http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/59r2/DSC01514-3.jpg

Comment

I would say that the connecting rod for first and reverse needs to be shortened. Disconnect it at the gearbox side, then engage the gear manually (be sure to hear the click of the locking), then adjust your rod to command the gearbox correctly. Add then two or three turns to compensate for play in the command and in the engine mounts.
                      Best of luck.
                      Last edited by christophe; 10-11-2012, 12:24 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have been fighting my '53 for quite a while... IF I could get a helper, it appears to be easy; but on my own (and damn near 70) makes it real interesting crawling under the car... making an adjustment, climbing back into the drivers seat, trying it... when one thinks it is right & gets the car off the jackstands... drives it and finds no improvement... then back up on stands for the fifth time ... it makes a day REALLLLLY long!
                        GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Comment

So it is still not working, it seems to be a fault inside the steering wheel. The normal position is shifting. (And the horn sounds constant)

Someone has the construction fig. of manual gears (3) inside the steering wheel? I will need a certain moving off tool to get the wheel off.

Thanks
                          Last edited by Santosh; 10-23-2012, 12:05 AM.
                          Walter

80 Fiat Spider
                          56 Golden Hawk
                          68 Volvo P1800S
                          56 Jaguar XK 140 DHC

Comment

Here it is: http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/...hp209x241.html
                            Scroll a little down and say thank you to Bob.
                            Best of luck.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X