53 Golden Tan Vinyl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Golden Tan Vinyl?

As the car is heading to the body shop for blocking and paint, my thoughts are moving toward the interior. In going through Bridges' Studebaker's Finest I see that red and golden tan are options for a vinyl interior.

Golden tan sounds like it might be a good match for my ivory over maui blue paint--but then again it could really clash. Does anyone have a pic of a 53 with the Golden Tan option? Would they have used Loma Gray for interior paint with the golden tan?

I welcome thoughts for interior colors that people think go well with the maui blue.
    Dave Nevin
    Corvallis, OR
    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
    Stud-e-venture blog

My 53 is light yellow with a Maui blue top. The golden tan interior looks just right.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
      My 53 is light yellow with a Maui blue top. The golden tan interior looks just right.
      Any chance we could get a photo or two?

Comment

It's my understanding Loma Gray was the standard interior color for all '53 models regardless of interior trim or exterior color.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loma Grey paint.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1675449
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          It's my understanding Loma Gray was the standard interior color for all '53 models regardless of interior trim or exterior color.
          According to Bridges' book, the one exception was the Bombay Red cars trimmed with Flax colored vinyl---in those instances "all metal items. . .were painted Monterey Beige."

Which probably answers my own question once I read it again. But if the Loma Gray doesn't match it very well I'm not sure I want to go that direction. . .

Thanks Roy--that's good to know. I'd love to see some pics if you have them as well.
          Dave Nevin
          Corvallis, OR
          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Any idea what color carpeting would go in those cars as well? Unfortunately the picture in Bridges' book is in black and white; it appears darker--perhaps matching the body color?
            Dave Nevin
            Corvallis, OR
            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

The '53 carpet is a dark brown/Grey with a few lighter colored threads in it. Its not like any auto carpet I have seen. Very short/thin and straight fibers and kind of fuzzy. It has a jute backing.

Loma grey doesnt go well with anything IMO. It has a pinkish tone. When I was getting paint for my '53 interior, I kept the original grey/black interior theme but used a shade of grey out of the paint store's book that matched the vinyl used for the headliner/seat backs.

The original carpet color doesn't match well with either the loma grey or the seat upholstery.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Red and Golden Tan were also leather seat options in the '53 C/K models.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I remember my uncle buying a new '53 V8 post Coupe. It was light yellow/medium blue top. and the interior was red cloth I'm certain he bought it off the lot and it was not a special order.

The combo seemed strange to me then and still does, but.....it was what it was.

Comment

You know, I've thought of doing a red interior. . .it does seem strange but it was a popular combination (blue exterior/red interior) on the 50's Porsche 356. And I'm going for that 50's feel (but with just a little more punch than the stock gray.)

Oh, and Jeff, if a non-Loma Gray dash is ok for your car then it has to be ok for mine.

Thanks for the leather option Gary. I knew leather was an option but didn't know what color.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                      Thanks for the leather option Gary. I knew leather was an option but didn't know what color.
                      Not common - in the last half-Century I have seen one tan and two red. I owned one of the red leather seat sets and the other red leather was in a 1953 Champion Starliner that I knew from the original owner.

EDIT: That '53 Champion now wears a '54 S/N plate due to a theft and sale. Don't be confused if you run across that '54. The last that I knew, many years ago, the car was in New Paltz, NY. It could be anywhere by now.
                      Last edited by studegary; 09-11-2012, 09:37 AM.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X