No announcement yet.

How does the oil fliter fit up ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: How does the oil fliter fit up ?

I have a early 50's side valve may be a commander or even a 2r engine which has quite a few bits in the box.

1. There is a canister oil filter unit where does it connect ? I do have a thin metal pipe coming off the oil pump, is that a pressure gauge or for the oil canister ? if so which end of the canister does it go.

2.Once the oil gets in the canister assuming it comes out where does it go back into the engine ?

May be a good picture would answer the above.

It is pretty simple really, the pressure line can come from any of those 1/8 inch pipe plugs on the passenger side of the block above the Valve Doors or the Oil Pump, it goes into the OUTSIDE port in the side or bottom of the Fram F4 Filter using a C4 Element inside on most Commander 245 cid 6's.

That puts the Return line in the bottom CENTER of the canister, and going into the lower side of the Oil Filler tube.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

One related question -- I pulled the bolt on the top of my oil filter housing, but the lid would not budge. I tapped it a little with a hammer to break it loose, but then thought maybe it was threaded. Should the lid just lift off? I just don't want to damage it if I'm missing some secret method of removal...
      sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
      Regal Deluxe Trim
      Automatic transmission
      46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        It is pretty simple really, the pressure line can come from any of those 1/8 inch pipe plugs on the passenger side of the block above the Valve Doors or the Oil Pump, it goes into the OUTSIDE port in the side or bottom of the Fram F4 Filter using a C4 Element inside on most Commander 245 cid 6's.

That puts the Return line in the bottom CENTER of the canister, and going into the lower side of the Oil Filler tube.
        Keeping in mind that "passenger side" is different in US and UK.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The oil filter top comes off with some delicate tapping upwards with a hammer handle.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks -- a little additional tapping did it and the old cartridge pulled out. Now, the Fram cartridge I got has a gasket in the box, but I don't see where that is supposed to go. Is it used on these cars?
            sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission

Comment

It's probably a replacement for the gasket in the filter housing top. If the old one looks dried out, replace it. Otherwise, save the new one in case the old one springs a leak.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                It's probably a replacement for the gasket in the filter housing top. If the old one looks dried out, replace it. Otherwise, save the new one in case the old one springs a leak.
                When I pulled the top off for the first time, there was no gasket. I will see if this new one fits...
                sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
                Automatic transmission

Comment

Working...
                X