Thibeault Distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Thibeault Distributor

I'm trying to install a new Mallory Distributor that I just purchased from Dave Thibeault. I have everything in order, piston #1 at TDC, put new rotor at #1 place new distributor in hole the drive shaft goes in, gear seats, but the shoulder on the new distributor does not go completely down to the block. There seems to be about 1/16" to 1/8" space between the shoulder of the new distributor and the base of the block. Is this normal or is there something I'm doing wrong... perhaps I miscalculated that this would be a simple job!!??

Can't get in touch with Dave and I'm trying to get the car going again so I can drive this afternoon. Any immediate help would be appreciated!!!
    Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

This is normal it's the oil pump drive thats not lining up in the slot. The gear is in mesh with the cam at this point so just slowly turn the motor over by hand and the distributor will drop in.

Comment

Or attache a remote starter switch to the solenoid and push down on the distributor cap while you crank a rotation. It'll drop right in.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

You can also use a long screwdriver to turn the oil pump a bit.
        Chip
        '63 Cruiser
        '57 Packard wagon
        '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Just bump the starter a couple of times (coil wire off).
          The distributor will drop down when the oil pump slot lines up.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks everybody. I guess in the excitement of wanting the new distributor in, combined with the facts that it didn't slip in as easily as I expected and took longer than expected, I forgot to bumpt the engine around a bit. Sure enough, it slipped in easily and we were wowed by the smoothness of the engine. Going driving now!! Thanks again... merci beau coups!!!
            Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Working...
            X