fiberglass front fenders 54 CK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: fiberglass front fenders 54 CK

Has anybody used Class Glass and Performance front fenders? I looked in the archives and found their name but no comments on how they fit. Just got off the phone with them and I can get the fender and inner fender for 480.00 per side. My fenders are in such bad shape it's gonna cost twice that to get them straightened and patched. Sure would appreciate any help ya'll could send my way.
    Tom

I don't know about fit, but that 's cheaper than you can buy new old stock. Someone's sure to have used fenders for maybe about the same.

Comment

Be aware....even the "best" glass parts WILL need some hand fitting of some type.
      But as you say, though messier, fiberglass is easier to work with.

I've seen the Stude they use in their advertizment. While I have no idea how much "hand" work went into that body, it is good looking in person.

Mike

Comment

Tom: Decent fenders are all but impossible to find. I found one on ebay for 900.00. When I was reviewing the archives I found a thread from a couple of years ago that tied to an ebay listing for both R and L fenders for over 1600 bucks. I had a friend that went to the National meet and said nary a decent fender was to be found.

Mike: Believe me, I know the glass fender won't be "bolt on" and go. Fortunately I've got a guy doing the body work that is a master at getting things to fit. He's told me he could fix the fenders but that it would take a lot of time which translates into a LOT of green. I would really like to talk to some one who's actually used these fenders but I may just have to take a shot in the dark.

Thanks guys------------------Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tbear View Post
          Tom: Decent fenders are all but impossible to find. I found one on ebay for 900.00. When I was reviewing the archives I found a thread from a couple of years ago that tied to an ebay listing for both R and L fenders for over 1600 bucks. I had a friend that went to the National meet and said nary a decent fender was to be found.

Mike: Believe me, I know the glass fender won't be "bolt on" and go. Fortunately I've got a guy doing the body work that is a master at getting things to fit. He's told me he could fix the fenders but that it would take a lot of time which translates into a LOT of green. I would really like to talk to some one who's actually used these fenders but I may just have to take a shot in the dark.

Thanks guys------------------Tom
          you can see fiberglass fenders on my 54 commander (which is for sale) at http://kenmotorsports.blogspot.com/. It required some work but was within my "amateur" capability. Ken, Deltaville, Va
          Last edited by ken-renda; 08-02-2012, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks Ken. Now THIS is what I'm talking about!! My car is a 54 Starlight Coupe. Not doing a stock restoration but a mild custom. Whose fenders did you use? When I talked to the folks at Classic Glass they said their fenders had the vents filled. I would like to stay with the vents if possible.

Comment

I've had a glass front fender on my '63 GT for over 30 years. Mine has the vent door and it and its innards function just as they should.
              FWIW, it was a bit of a task to fit, but the only really telling things are that you have to run grounds to the lights, and with the hood open you see pop rivets going into the thicker than steel lip. Also beware of, and fill, any pinhole pits in the exterior glaze.

Comment

Who made the fender?

Comment

"Who made the fender?"

Dunno, but it was a sort of pale mustard color before painting, and I do not remember any identifying marks or words on it.
                  At the time, ones like mine could be gotten from various vendors, and at the May SB Swap Meet. Seems like mine came from the old Special Interest Auto, a Studebaker vendor here in St. Louis.
                  Also, I just noticed that the ones you have in mind are both inner & outer. If they are cast as one piece, then you would not have a issue I did with the pop riveted seam.

Comment

Originally posted by tbear View Post
                    Thanks Ken. Now THIS is what I'm talking about!! My car is a 54 Starlight Coupe. Not doing a stock restoration but a mild custom. Whose fenders did you use? When I talked to the folks at Classic Glass they said their fenders had the vents filled. I would like to stay with the vents if possible.
                    Not sure, I buy a lot of stuff at the York swap meet and used to from Steven Allen (out of business) and have been doing so for about 15 years, There is usually a glass body part vendor there. The ones I have seen at York have vents. I do not know York members but they list a telephone 717-232-8511 for the swap meet, I'm sure that they will put you in touch with vendor if they know. Try to stick with fiberglass, CORRECT repair of these old fenders is a hassle and good ones are costly. good luck. Ken, Deltaville Va

Comment

Pat Skelly has a REAL decent '60 Hawk (that runs) that has a perfect pair of 'glass fenders.
                      You can buy the wole car for 3k...
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Well folks, I ordered a set of fenders and inner fenders from Class Glass and Performance in Cumberland, MD. I'll keep ya posted. Hopefully they won't have too many waves in them!!

Comment

Tbear....check your PM

Comment

Glass fenders....glass bodies ....glass parts have pros and cons. I was involved a few years back with a manufacturer of 20+ street rod bodies using a vacuum forming process and layered stitch and woven mat materials with the latest resins...the vinyl esters currently used on the C-6 vette. Polyester hand laid is the what you bought from the company you mentioned. There is not a thing wrong with that as long as their molds are still within tolerance. ie....the more they are used ....they closer they get to being used up....so to speak. Trying to use layman terms. If they are careful in the layup process the better the results....less warping and distorting from heat buildup when the resin kicks. My only recommendation to you is do not paint your car a dark color. I can go into a long discussion why not but suffice it to say....just don't !! Stay with a light color and the fender will be far more stable over the life of the product.

Comment

Working...
                            X