57 Silver Hawk Artic Air A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 57 Silver Hawk Artic Air A/C

I think the Artic Air A/C in my 1957 Silver Hawk is factory.

Any idea where I can get information about this unit?

thanks,
    Steven

It's aftermarket.

Comment

Artic Air was a common, popular aftermarket A/C company. (I am agreeing with Matthew and adding a bit). Try Google or Ask for information. What type of information are you seeking? Ask here and you may get an answer.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Swain, Can you post your pictures of A/C aftermarket here, please? I would like to see it.

Thanks, Steven

Comment

To: 57 Silver Hawk,------WOW...I love the details of Your Silver Hawk!

Comment

A/C compressor replaced the oil filter canister

Here is the pictures.
            I have had the Hawk for several months but not had the time to do anything. Then south Texas is too hot this time of year. So as I was looking at the A/C compressor which is where the oil filter canister belongs and I couldn't find the oil filter. I think whoever installed the A/C, even though it has a sticker on the window that says "Air Conditioner by Studebaker", removed the oil filter canister to make room for the compressor. I looked on the sides and underneath but find nothing. What are my options?
            Should I start this on another post? Now I am concerned that the car does not have an oil filter.
            I am thinking I might just sell it and look for another. Great 289 engine fires right up. Disk brakes on the front, alt, electronic ignition, amp and cd player with a subwoffer in the trunk.
            Attached Files

Comment

Other will chime in, but IMO if it has survived this long without an oil filter, you likely don't need to worry too much. As you say, the 289 is great, it has front disks, alternator and electronic ignition and a good sound system as well as the AC. It has most of the things a 57 Hawk 'needs' to have upgraded. Just change your oil more often as it specified in the old days before filters. Think every few months and some few thousand miles, like about 3 or 3, if that. Before the full flow blocks came along in the 60s, even those partial flow filters didn't do a heck of a job anyway; you still changed your oil often. The 289 is older tech, not like these new cars with their long intervals.

Comment

My guess is that the "Air Conditioning by Studebaker" sticker was purchased and added by a previous owner, not the factory. That doesn't look like the factory units I've seen. Also, the pros can correct me if I'm wrong, but the two Studebakers with factory air that I've seen in person had a tag added to the body tag on the firewall that indicated air conditioning. I suppose a factory build sheet from the museum would settle it once and for all.
                '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

The oil filter was an option on these engines. Just change your oil every 1000 miles, or Spring and Fall, whichever comes first.
                  Those "Air Conditioned by Studebaker" stickers were reproduced and there are many cars with them that do not have a factory A/C system. No harm. The main thing is if you have a working A/C system.
                  You have a nice Hawk. Do not get dejected.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X