Avanti battery brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti battery brace

Has anybody installed the battery box support on a 63 Avanti that Stude. Int. sells. If so do you have any pixs or tips. Believe it was dealer installed at one time. Thanks David

To: prez55,-------If You haven't bought that support yet, I do have some advice. (esp if Your '63 Avanti is a keeper) That long 3EEE battery that Stude used in '63 was an engineering blunder. It's big, it's heavy, it adds unneeded
    weight to an already nose heavy car, and it certainly stresses the fiberglass. Invest in a plastic boat battery box suitable for a group 24 battery, and relocate the battery to the trunk. It's a simple job, and puts the weight
    where it's needed.....over the rear wheels. If You don't like the looks of that empty spot up front that used to contain 'the monster', simply gut the old 3EEE battery and reinstall it....it will weigh about 1 lb then!
    Last edited by SN-60; 07-16-2012, 02:09 PM.

Comment

The Fiberglas battery base was all cracked when I purchased my Avanti. I cut a piece ofsteel to size, ground away a bit of glass, smeared resin on the base, set theplate in it, added resin on top of the steel and then put new glass mat in it.If I remember right, I may have incorporated the front battery hold down holein the plate as well. I think over-tightening that is what broke the glass in the first place.That's been about 10 years ago. Still holding up good. AND a cheap fix.

Comment

Prez55
        I did it some time ago.
        The brace fits in the wheel well and pretty much in one location due to the shape and deformation of the brace . Once I found the best place it was glued and riveted in place.
        You might need a little force to get a snuggish fit but it was an easy enough installation.
        pb

Comment

I guess I've been lucky! Mine has never been cracked and I've never installed a brace. and I do have the 3EE battery.

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

The fibreglass brace definitely stiffens the left apron carrying the battery. However, whether the Avanti has a 3EE or 24 series battery, a support should be fashioned to mount on the outside of the frame rail to support the battery weight. This can simply be a piece of 1/8" thick strap steel fastened to the side of the frame rail with a 90 degree bend at the top to contact the bottom of the apron under the battery. Place a hard rubber pad between the bracket and the apron bottom. This will take the shock stress of road bumps off the apron. Both '63's and '64's eventually suffer apron cracks or outright fracture without these reinforcements.

Comment

I'll build me one since the RF wheel is still off & the Avanti is on stands.

Comment

One thing that must be done, is to clean the contact area to the best of your ability, no undercoating, no paint, no greasy residue. Then sand the area with 36 grit, and use a good panel bond adhesive.
                I've seen repairs (supposedly by professionals) right over dirt and undercoating!!!!
                I use stainless rivets and backer washers to hold the brace.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                X