engine removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: engine removal

I have a 55 commander coupe(V8). Can I remove the engine and tranny together. and if so is this a good or bad method.Also I have an oil leak up front Hopefully not a seal, Can I change the pan gasket in the car. Is this a good or bad idea, I'm leaning toward engine removal but don't like unnessary work. Aloha Jim Ayling-Honolulu

Yes you can drop the pan in car. Remove the starter , exhaust and then you have lots of room. One thing I've notist about 55s is many have deformed grills from people leaning on them over the years try not to do that. Check your fuel pump for oil leaks. Good luck

Comment

On the C & K Models you turn the wheels full right to remove the Engine or the Oil Pan.

If the Oil leaks from the front of the Engine it most likely is the Timing Seal, but that is no big deal with the engine out, you can change the Felt ring that serves as the timing Cover seal.

You will need the Timing Cover Gasket Set with T/C Gasket, Seal, Water Manifold Gaskets, and Fuel Pump Gaskets.

To do this job, you will need the Pan Gasket Set also, and I would do the Rear Main Seal as well.

When you get it apart, you will find that the Timing Cover Gasket and Pan Gasket are related/connected and both Must be done together.

The job can be done MUCH easier with the Engine upside down on your Engine Stand.

Always have all the needed Parts in stock before beginning. That usually consists of, Front and Rear Engine mounts, Radiator Hoses, Exhaust pipe flange gaskets and possiby the Flange kit with 3 Gaskets, new studs, brass nuts and washers. Also check the heat Riser Valve, a replacement may be needed.
      And of course the 6 core Plugs in the block. Getting all this done while the Engine is out beats the alternative hands down, everytime. been there, done that!

Remember, this Car is 57 years old, and unless you know all of it's maintenance from day one, assume EVERYTHING is aged or worn out.

OH, and have fun, play some tunes or something!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Can I pull engine and transmission together and is that the way to do it?---Jim

Comment

Yes you can, on some models and Trans. types dropping the rear engine support cross member helps a lot.

But if I remember correctly the C & K models do not need to have it dropped, the Sedans and Larks definitely do though.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X