Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 62 Hawk air-conditioner

62 Hawk Air-conditioning
    Ok it is hot in Texas, not as hot as Phoenix but hot. I need to get air in this car if I am going to drive it more. I have looked at vintage air. I have the compressor mounted however need everything else. Has anyone ever managed to fit a Gen II under the dash? It seems a lot of stuff, radio, glove box, dash brace, would have to be removed. My other choice is a slim-line with heat, air, and defrost. I have not heat or defrost on the car. Another unit I saw on another web site was under the dash with round vents that offered heat and air but no defrost. What have people been using? Does anyone have any pics of air units in car custom or otherwise?

Original Studebaker-equipped under-dash units can be found for a couple hundred bucks.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Yes, but the original equipment does not have heat also. I need a unit that will handle heat. My heating system has been removed, and I mean all of it has been removed.

Comment

What's a Gen II ?
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          What's a Gen II ?
          An evap unit with heat and cool by Vintage Air. I'm sure someone has put one of their systems in a GT.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Tex,
            I live in Florida and have a 62 Hawk. Two years ago I had a Vintage Air Gen II installed. While I'm not overly thrilled with the installation and will probably redo a large part of it, it's a good unit. I wasn't real thrilled in the beginning because of low flow from the registers. Then I realized I had selected the wrong position on the selector. It was doing the half in your face and the other half on you toes. I put a light tint on the side windows and started ducting the air up and it was fine. I did loose half of my glove box. The original radio is still in there. Here are some pictures. Feel free to PM me and I can send more pictures or info if you like.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00193.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1674797 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00195.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1674798

Comment

Originally posted by dallastx75208 View Post
              62 Hawk Air-conditioning
              Ok it is hot in Texas, not as hot as Phoenix but hot. I need to get air in this car if I am going to drive it more. I have looked at vintage air. I have the compressor mounted however need everything else. Has anyone ever managed to fit a Gen II under the dash? It seems a lot of stuff, radio, glove box, dash brace, would have to be removed. My other choice is a slim-line with heat, air, and defrost. I have not heat or defrost on the car. Another unit I saw on another web site was under the dash with round vents that offered heat and air but no defrost. What have people been using? Does anyone have any pics of air units in car custom or otherwise?
              Call Phil Jones at J&N Auto Air in Harlingen. He/they are very long time Studebaker people and have done all kinds of Studebaker A/C projects. Ebon Jones is railway on the Forum, but he has retired from the A/C shop. Phil just sorted out my York compressor problems and is sending me the parts needed. S end me a PM for his number if you can't find it otherwise.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I have used several repro, under dash "hanging" evaporators, that mount and look similar to OEM; the kind that include elements for both heat & AC. There was a rumor going around several years ago that the dual units did not do either (heat or cool) well. That was just that- a rumor. The units I have installed actually do both BETTER than OEM. I particularly like the last one I installed, made by "Nostagia Air" IIRC, but I understand they were recently bought out by "Yogi's". You can pay extra for Vintage Aire, but not necessarily get a better product.

The units I am talking about require no dash modification, and work particularly well in Studes with GT strle bucket seats & console. The two, center vents can be adjusted to blow directly between the large space between the seats and into the rear seat area. So folks in the back seat get a lot more "climate control" than with bench seats.

Comment

To get any real use out of the AC in Texas, You will also need the engine cooling system working optimally, i.e. with a super HD radiator, and fan. Otherwise, in order to keep the engine from overheating, you will have to turn it off when you need it most, usually at outside temps above 90.

Comment

Was it the Gen II mini you had installed.? Heat, air, defrost? I figured the glove box would have to go away. What were you not happy about?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      I have used several repro, under dash "hanging" evaporators, that mount and look similar to OEM; the kind that include elements for both heat & AC. There was a rumor going around several years ago that the dual units did not do either (heat or cool) well. That was just that- a rumor. The units I have installed actually do both BETTER than OEM. I particularly like the last one I installed, made by "Nostagia Air" IIRC, but I understand they were recently bought out by "Yogi's". You can pay extra for Vintage Aire, but not necessarily get a better product.

The units I am talking about require no dash modification, and work particularly well in Studes with GT strle bucket seats & console. The two, center vents can be adjusted to blow directly between the large space between the seats and into the rear seat area. So folks in the back seat get a lot more "climate control" than with bench seats.
                      This one is cool only, but I can assure you that it cools much better than the OEM A/C.
                      Attached Files
                      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

This is a timely thread as completing the A/C installation is the next step on our '63 GT. It will be a Gen II Compac. The ducting and piping will be tight, but it will work. The unit is up against the parking brake on the drivers side. The handle that operates the passenger side door vent will have to be relocated to the right and the rod shortened. I may remove the floor and engine wall carpet and insulation and install new up to the unit. This will provide more room for the duct and piping. The radio and glove box can remain as they left the factory.

Perry
                        \'50 Business Champion
                        \'50 Starlight Champion
                        \'60 Lark Convertible,
                        \'63 GT R1,
                        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                          This is a timely thread as completing the A/C installation is the next step on our '63 GT. It will be a Gen II Compac. The ducting and piping will be tight, but it will work. The unit is up against the parking brake on the drivers side. The handle that operates the passenger side door vent will have to be relocated to the right and the rod shortened. I may remove the floor and engine wall carpet and insulation and install new up to the unit. This will provide more room for the duct and piping. The radio and glove box can remain as they left the factory.

Thanks for sending the pic. And the information on where to put it. Going to have to rethink my plan to get the unit to fit like yours.
                          Other than the passenger vent did you have to remove anything else?
                          Does your unit have heat, air, and defrost?

Comment

The Gen II has heat, air and defrost. At this time I don't believe anything else will have to be removed. The screw driver is there to prop the unit up for the photo. The unit is now back on the shop shelf. The ducting and piping will really be tight. The installer told me it will be workable. I am now working to put the front end of the car together so I can mount the condenser. Also, note that this is a '63, there maybe differences.
                            Perry
                            \'50 Business Champion
                            \'50 Starlight Champion
                            \'60 Lark Convertible,
                            \'63 GT R1,
                            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Working...
                            X