No announcement yet.

How To Install 1963 Column Shift Knob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: How To Install 1963 Column Shift Knob?

I ordered replacement knobs for the turn signal and column shift levers on the GT. They arrived today; the turn signal knob is repro, and the shifter knob is NOS. I laid both levers and knobs outside in the sun for an hour, thinking they's be more flexible when hot. It worked great with the turn signal knob, and it slipped right in place. But the shifter knob was a NO-GO. I placed rags under the knob end so I could press hard. The knob chipped in the blink of an eye. It is still serviceable, but unsightly. I next took it to a press, and placed the folded rag under the knob again, and gently applied pressure. It went on, but hit a bottom about 3/32" short of going all the way in place. To have pressed harder, woulda resulted in a toss up between the lever bending and the knob exploding.

I think problem #1 is the plastic is NOS and extremely hard & fragile.

Has anyone successfully installed a (non thread type) NOS shifter knob on a Stude lately? If so, HOW?

Thanks,
    Joe

I used to boil water and let them soak enough to make them soft enough to slide on and stay on.
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

What George said... You boil the knob, but freeze the lever! Shrinking the metal and heating the plastic knob makes enough clearance to get it on.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
      X