No announcement yet.

1962 Lark Chevy V8 radiator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 1962 Lark Chevy V8 radiator?

If I don't sell my 1962 Lark I'll wind up putting in a larger capacity radiator.

Word has it a 1972-86 Jeep CJ Chevy V8 conversion unit will fit right in there, true or false?
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

fits fine in my 60 Lark
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
      fits fine in my 60 Lark
      Since you live near me; I'll take your word for it.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I 'pulled the trigger' and ordered an aluminum off eBay; if the car sell at its BIN price, I'll give it to the winning bidder. If my lark doesn't sell, I'll install the radiator and drive it.

Comment

Fits almost perfectly in my 63 Daytona - was angled back at the bottom but there is enough room for a fan with thermal clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post
            Fits almost perfectly in my 63 Daytona - was angled back at the bottom but there is enough room for a fan with thermal clutch.
            That 'angled back at the bottom' concerns me since the back of the engine sits lower than the front (I'm guessing that's normal for Studes) and I presently have ca. 3/8" of clearance between the crank pulley and my present stock V8 radiator.

Comment

With that Lark's spacious front area, and your gift for custom engineering, I am thinking you could put that radiator in upside down, if need be

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                With that Lark's spacious front area, and your gift for custom engineering, I am thinking you could put that radiator in upside down, if need be
                Custom engineering? I used (1965-66) Studebaker engineering to get my SBC into my 1962 Lark.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                  Custom engineering? I used (1965-66) Studebaker engineering to get my SBC into my 1962 Lark.
                  I thought you demonstrated excellent custom engineering when you installed the TH350, and the 2.79 Ford rear end. Some folks have a knack for doing things like that, others don't. I just wish I knew where to get hold of a 2.79 rear end for the wife's GT. I had installed a 2.73 AM-20 rear end in her last GT, but they are also getting hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                    I thought you demonstrated excellent custom engineering when you installed the TH350, and the 2.79 Ford rear end. Some folks have a knack for doing things like that, others don't. I just wish I knew where to get hold of a 2.79 rear end for the wife's GT. I had installed a 2.73 AM-20 rear end in her last GT, but they are also getting hard to find.

Trust me: I asked lots of questions here in this Forum before I went ahead. And I took Ye Olde measuring tape and did the backing plate to backing plate thing re: rear ends.

Comment

You'll have at least that. I imagine it wouldn't be tough to relocate the mounting surfaces on the radiator if needs be.

That 'angled back at the bottom' concerns me since the back of the engine sits lower than the front (I'm guessing that's normal for Studes) and I presently have ca. 3/8" of clearance between the crank pulley and my present stock V8 radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by pdrnec View Post
                        You'll have at least that. I imagine it wouldn't be tough to relocate the mounting surfaces on the radiator if needs be.
                        A honest 3/8" of clearance I can live with.

Comment

Contact Brice Thomas Radiator in Gadsden, AL. 256-546-4613. The radiator for a 1962 Hawk is part no. STU 1062. It appears that it will also fit my 63 Champ, so I would assume it will fit other Lark styled cars. But they're good folks and will work with you to make sure it will fit your application.
                          Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

New aluminum radiator was won off of eBay; I should be receiving it within one week. It supposedly is for a 305 Chevy but; I doubt my 350 (stock cam and low compression) will be too much for it.

Comment

New aluminum radiator was won off of eBay; I should be receiving it within one week. It supposedly is for a 305 Chevy but; I doubt my 350 (stock cam and low compression) will be too much for it.
                              Being in Arizona probably makes a difference, but a stock, 2-row Lark V8 radiator cooled my "Chevy in a 62" just fine. Those Chevy motors cool a lot easier than Studes and the stock Stude radiator cooled the Stude...at least when they were new.

Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X