GT overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: GT overheating

Well I have not posted since last nov but I got the part (I hope) I needed to quell my 62 GT's overheating problem. A dear lady at my chapter gave me a fan shroud as the one on my stude seems to have had one inch of the inner edge cut off which left the fan 1 inch away from the shroud resulting in sucking air from the engine compartment and not so much from the radiator. My question is two fold: 1. How far should the fan enter into the shroud 2. What is the best method of lining the fan blades as some have different blade angles?

1.) IIRC (no car here to check on), I believe the tip of the baldes should be even with or just within the edge of the shroud.
    2.) I don't know what you mean by "lining the fan blades". If you mean aligning the blades, one to the other, don't do it. If the blades are off kilter, replace the fan.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I second Garys ' point of leaving the fan alone, and replace it for safety sake. A small variance is enough to quickly wear out the water pump bearings, and can lead to cracking around the blade rivets. A broken fan can be leathal!
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I had a -66 Chevy Apache in -77 that had a slit in the hood... The owner before me told me that a fan-blade went through one day when they were taking of from a stop-light, it was a six-cylinder engine & it went straight up through the steel!
        Could've gone any direction...

Comment

On all the factory installations through the years I've noticed that the fan blades are "half way" into the shroud opening. The rear half of the blade should be visible when seen from the side. The blades should be aligned with the same pitch & in line with one another when rotating. As the others have said, you dont want to mess around with a fan that is bent or damaged in any way due to what it can do mechanically & to either the car's or more importantly, your body!
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
          X